Tips on dime looking

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard something that when these things were made and they didn't have lead or not enough lead. Something about lead but according to the people that fight for vintage asian swings. there paint carried lead so how come there cars didn't hold up if thats true, haha

Look around the headlights, and battery tray for previous crashes...

Look for bad rust in:

-the trunk, floor pans, rocker panels, fender "arches",,,,, and frame rails

-around the steering box

-look where the rear crossmember bolts to the car (under the back seat)

-look inside the trunk where the shocks are bolted

-look for rust around the windshield, and back window

One more tip: look under the car in the back,,, where the spare tire well is...... sometimes people replace the whole back clip of these cars.

My car had the drivers side quarter riveted on by the previous owner,,, and the whole tailight panel/ spare tire well was riveted on too:eek:,,,,

So always look for BAD body repair, or replaced panels

are you on your own when it comes to replacing this stuff or there are dealers that car these items still when it comes to replacing all these rusted items. This car still has the orignal funny looking hub caps on it and little thin tires. I'm guessing a older man owns it because of the way its kept.

are you on your own when it comes to replacing this stuff or there are dealers that car these items still when it comes to replacing all these rusted items. This car still has the orignal funny looking hub caps on it and little thin tires. I'm guessing a older man owns it because of the way its kept.

Most of the new replacement panels have been NLA (no longer available) from the dealers for years. There are a very few parts that are still available like the front lower apron. You will mostly need to hunt down decent used parts for replacements or keep an eye out on ebay and the different 510 classifieds for NOS (new old stock) parts to pop up for sale.

Finding a car with the original wheels and hupcaps is getting rare these days. Hopefully it is in decent shape.

Check it out carefully. Sometimes a low purchase price for a rusty 510 is not a good buy and it would be better to spend more more money for a cleaner less rusty car. Fixing rust car be very expensive and in most cases, the rust will come back again or show up in a different area.

thank you David for the response. I hope its in good shape because I've seen it under a car port away from the weather but its from the view off the road. Also I hope its in a good shape because it looks like a older man that drives it. I will see what happens only time will tell.

I just got home from looking at a 510 not far from me. On the phone, the owner told me that the floors were solid. When we pulled up the rubber mats and the old horsehair padding under them, the front floors on both sides had holes where the floors meet the firewall and inner front wheel wells. The bottoms of the doors were rusty and the lower parts of the front fenders were too.

Make sure to check the inner section of the front fender wells where they meet the frame rails as these areas are prone to rust too.