just a quickie

hey all, havent been on in a very very long time! hope you are doing well.

i moved from colorado to washington, but my car is still sitting back in CO. a mighty big frown has found its way to my face because of it. i have to fly down and fix the leaky mess i left that motor in when i did my head gasket swap.

THE QUESTION

does the head need to be planed EVERY time you pull it from the motor?

i understand the concept of when you blow a gasket the heat will warp aluminium and whatnot requiring the work, but since i am headed down for just a couple days i need to know if machine work is necessary for budget and time reasons of course.

thanks everyone!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It NEEDS to be only if it's out of spec. Some people always do it as a rule of thumb. I would say it depends on the head itself, if it has been done before(check measurements) and doesn't need it, as in passes spec I would leave it alone. If the head and never been but passes spec I might just to have a fresh 100% perfect surface.

Edited by 72240z

the only time you have to plane a head is if it got hot enough to warp it....to check if it needs it put a good straight edge on the mating surface and look to see if you can see daylight through it...if you have a book it will have the amount of day you can get away with

not driving it anywhere. its got a popped alternator (gosh what a great job i did) and i dont have the funds or garage to store it for the time being. i did a gasket swap to it, planed it, it ran well but with such a gnarly oil leak it really couldnt go far especially on what the battery allowed with no re-charge from the alternator.

thankfully i have a core ready to go!

unfortunately i have to fly down to get my license suspended :D