attention carburetor gurus!!!

Braden

hey guys i have an l20b running a stock rebuilt hitachi, i just finished the rebuild and i also swapped from heat riser intake/exhaust to non heat riser, all of the egr has been removed and im having a little bit of tuning trouble.

when the truck is warm i can get it to idle smooth, but when i drive it and i come to a stop sometimes it idles and sometimes it will idle down then quit, its quite annoying and i was wondering if any of you had any tips, i know one guy on here was saying something about the idle and mix screws, tinkering with them both in a certian way but i couldnt make sense of what he was saying, i have set my mix screw to 2-2.5 turns initially and set my idle screw, thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I do. Warm the engine up. Turn the mixture screw in till idle starts to stumble then turn out untill it stumbles. Select a point 1/2 way between. Adjust idle speed screw up or down. Repeat as many times as needed to get the idle smooth and around 650-750. You may have trouble with idle to start, so turn the idle speed up a bit.

Be sure the valve lash is set properly and the timing is set or this is a waste of time.

Here's what I do. Warm the engine up. Turn the mixture screw in till idle starts to stumble then turn out untill it stumbles. Select a point 1/2 way between. Adjust idle speed screw up or down. Repeat as many times as needed to get the idle smooth and around 650-750. You may have trouble with idle to start, so turn the idle speed up a bit.

Be sure the valve lash is set properly and the timing is set or this is a waste of time.

thanks mike, will do, and as far as vacumm leaks i am proud to saY I have none!!!! I SPENT 2 days swapping out my intake and exhaust manifold for the non heat riser version and i replace the intake exhaust gasket, i also got rid off alll of the egr stuff, its alot nicer under the hood and leake free, i will tune up some more tomorrow and get back to you