75 620, L20, no spark?

1Low620

Ok, I've been scratching my head for a few hours now. My 620 I picked up over the weekend isn't getting any spark, at first I thought maybe the coil was bad as it IS getting power to it, but nothing from the dist wire out.

tossed on a brand new MSD coil and still, nothing.... swapped the dist wire and yet again, no spark.

I'm not a electrical person, but should both the Pos AND Neg wires use'n a test light pop on? with the key in the ON position, both the pos and neg light up, but if I stick the test light directly on the coil plug insert, nothing, not even when cranking it over.

all the other wiring looks solid, everything else is getting power, is there anything else that could possibly cause this?

any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

replace the points and condensor in the distributor. (roughly $8 total) and set your point gap.

Then reboot. :)

I wish that was the case!

Right now, I get power TO the coil, but nothing beyond that, I have tried 3 different working coils out of running vehicles.

If I take a test light and hit the +, light lights up, if I take the test light and hit the -, the test light lights up, is that normal?

I have also taken a patch wire and ran it across a ground and both + and - get spark.

all the grounds look good ( no loose or broken connections )

it's got to be something trivial the haynes book don't show, or I'm reading too much into other symptoms and missing something.

Also go back to the stock coil. Forget MSG it's likely for an EI ignition and has lower impedance and will fry the new points within 50 miles.

The positive side of the coil should have some voltage on it with ignition ON. The other side goes to the points which close and connect to ground. When the points open again this causes the coil to spark. The points have to close and open for this to happen. They could be all corroded or burnt and not conducting. If they don't connect the coil to ground you won't have spark.

Edited by datzenmike
replace the points and condensor in the distributor. (roughly $8 total) and set your point gap.

Then reboot. :)

Thanks Bleach! called up Autozone and they had a set of points in stock for $5.99! scrounged up some change and went to get them. Got them home and installed and she fired up on the first turn!

Now, I just need to set the timing I think, sitting idle, its very high

if using a test light a coil will light up more on the +side and less on the Neg side as it is just one wire eleltrical wire thru that coil so yes the test light will light up on both sides.

glad you got it running.

PS if this is a point vehicle you should still use the ballast resisitor otherwise you points will not last as long and youll be stuck again

Engine idle will be higher when motor cold. Did you warm it up first?

Yeah, let it sit idle for about 10 minutes, hit the gas thinking it would kick down but it wont. Sounds like I got my foot heavy into the pedal at idle. :) off work now so going to go work on it and see what I can come up with!