Project Ichorid, KA-t 510

ichorid

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks man going to have to hold off till finances balance out. with the cage and the last of the parts on the turbo Im feeling in the pocket book. Every time I spend a large amount on the car. and see where its currently at, I feel a little defeated. But thats how I set up this project, it was going to get worse before it got better.

The guy doing the cage is taking his time, I have yet to get any pictures. Here are some problems we came across so far.

My seats, they are from a 350z a little bit bigger than say a race seat you would typically see in a car with a 6 point cage.

Me, 6' 4" of leg. This means when I drive my 510 I look like Im driving in the back seat. so for engineering reasons, and it being a 4 door we decided to get the hoop as close to the existing stiff structure between front and rear doors. In order to get the harness bar to be at a comfortable spot I now have to sit closer to the wheel than I probably would naturally enjoy. This is fine I don't have have roll like a 10 foot tall gangster on the track.

any how slow but steady progress is being made. I can't proceed with the turbo for a little bit right now any how. I have all the parts sitting here, but the man with my new engine is busy with another project.

Which has actually allotted me more time to purchase a metal head gasket, rods, and head studs. So with the pistons, rods, studs, head gasket, and all the other parts in my build. My engine will be solid as a rock passed 400whp.

and who knows maybe one day when I can fit 16x10 tires and have a custom drive shaft made Ill do it for a dyno run just to see the baby get up there... Any one know what the current fastest 510 is?

• 3 weeks later...

alright! tomorrow I pick her up from getting the cage done finally. Ill take a ton of pics. After that I gotta get my slotted xmember on, it also has a 3" exhaust out for post turbo. Then next weekend if possible Ill be dropping it off for its new KA and turbo. woo woo. then BACK to the cage guy to do a 3" turbo back exhaust. then ??????? burn outs.

big time update! UPDATE UPDATE! with billions of pictures!

so I dropped the car off a few weeks ago to start the cage. Its all done now and Jimmy took literally hundreds of pictures for me while he was working on my dime. here are some of my favorites and a link to a detailed set of 100+ images taken from beginning to end. He did a whole lot more than just build a cage for me this guy is awesome and can't wait for him to do some more work on the car.

here is the link to my flickr set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hackeyesup/sets/72157622865171483/

4180698218_d33268f2e1_o.jpg

4179945289_bef84e7c4b.jpg

4180697736_801d942a52_o.jpg

and the teaser, he is working on a few of these strut tower bars, 3 point fancy shmancy bar of awesomeness. I will be getting one for sure when I take it back for the exhaust.

4180725752_d82e46a9f0.jpg

http://www.wellbiltkustoms.com/ where the cage and strut tower bar were created. Jimmy is a real rad dude.

Hey fella's,

I'm the cage and strut bar builder (Jimmy). It was a pleasure working on your ride Casey.

I would definately like to continue to develope more high quality parts for you Datsun/Nissan owners, so If you have any requests, please let me know.

The strut bar I made should significantly improve body roll and chassis flex. I will be making a few more of these if anyone is interested. If enough people are interested, maybe we can start a group buy, and I'll drop the price a tad on them.

These are hand fabricated, and built very rigid! They do take a little bit of time to make, and are 100% TIG welded. All hardware used is Grade 8, and I can pretty much finish (paint) the mounting plates and bar in any color you'd like if the polished and grinded metal is too flashy for you ;)

Look forward to making more high quality products for you guys!

ive seen this cage in person. i dont know how jimmy did it! lots of hours and love went into this cage. probably 10x safer than some autopower bullcrap, and 5x safer than a backyard bro with a mig welder and some tin snips. my car is going in at the beginning of January. :cool:

Thanks alot! I really appreciate it! There's no better feeling then someone commenting on something you really spent alot of time and put alot of heart into.

Look forward to working on your ride!

• 1 month later...

id have to agree with you. the ccw classics are amazing rims. but deffinately something that will break the bank.

i would love to have a set of 16x10s on my car. which one day i do plan on having but i dont know if ill be going with ccw. maybe a set of 15 or 16x10 work equip 03 with like a 245 or 255 if i can find a tire that wide in a 16 haha. the fender flares give alot of room for wide rims and tires. i have my rota rb 16x8 +4 with 35mm spacer on there and i still have more room to go wider in the rear. fronts fit perfect if they dont have any camber. but could go a little wider to fill out the flares if you want it flush with some camber. one day ill have some ccw classics in a 17-18 combo for the nsx my dad gave me when he passed away a year ago. but the datsun is #1 in money gettin spent haha.

cant wait for my car to be running to save for my ka-t project. twinscroll 2871r is what i plan to boost with=]

loving you build tho.

thanks dude.

quick update. scored some front coilovers from a guy on the510realm, as well as a complete rear disc brake swap and 240sx ebrake. once I get that (and some time) Ill get em on and update this thread. Im holding off on the turbo till march. My wife and I are buying a house in the next couple months so we are saving every penny.

but here is the turbo plan update. Gonna go top mount with the IC just to be a little different, and make it look a little more sleepy. Also going to get a custom hood made.

Something between

DC_evo_hood.jpg

and

HD0405SBIMP-CW.JPG

but reverse the hood scoop orientation. It would give us more room in the hump for the TMIC and scoop to co-inhabbit the engine bay. I wish I could find a 3D model of a 510 that was worth its spit. The one I have is horrible. I think I may just have to model it myself.

Hang_510 mentioned the roadster hoodscoop on the510realm thread, so thats getting thrown in the mix now too.

It's the grasshopper build over at the510realm. I was reading through his setup today. AMAZING. It will be up pretty high, Im gonna run the Perrin TMIC replacement for the 08STI's (I think). I need an extra ~9 inches from the top of the KA to accommodate.

It's the grasshopper build over at the510realm. I was reading through his setup today. AMAZING. It will be up pretty high, Im gonna run the Perrin TMIC replacement for the 08STI's (I think). I need an extra ~9 inches from the top of the KA to accommodate.

Thats going to be like a huge cowl induction on the american muscle cars! :o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

alright! so, after a LONG time of basically letting my poor datsun sit on the street. She got some MUCH needed love today. She has basically been on the side of road since the last eagle rock swap meet. While leaving I... well I pulled my exhaust off on the high ass curb. It had a temporary flex pipe holding it on because I didn't want to get a full exhaust done. I have been planning the turbo build for a long time. have ALLL the parts sitting in my dads garage. But I didnt want to pull the trigger because my wife and I were buying a house and I didnt want to move a project.

WELL! we got our house and the 510 got a new exhaust. I have all the parts for the turbo build ready to go, but Im going to hold off for a while longer. There are a few things that have arisen that require a little more attention than building a turbo car. So for now, she is going to stay an NA KA24de (not like thats slow at all).

here is a pic since I know whats what you're hoping for. This is ichorid at the new house in its rightful space. The front driveway.

4792833982_a745d7a354_b.jpg

I also got around to finally ordering my MR2 inserts to make my front coilovers. No more lowering springs in the front! Im also looking at ordering a LSD and CV's for the rear. I have all the parts for the rear disc conversion as well, going to get that going soon enough. Just very stoked that all this house hunting and mortgage business is over. I can finally focus on the 510 for a bit. My moped hobby has been getting way more love. Any how Im not dead, if anyone noticed I was gone at all. Just been very busy and had to NOT visit forums. visiting ratsun and the510realm always make me want to spend money that until now was needed for our new home.

I was serious about the moped check out the peugeot build.