Driveshaft & trans swap questions- sleeve & flange?

hessianben

(this was part of my build thread, but it may be easier to address here)

attempting a swap from L16 & 4 speed to L20b & 5 speed

new motor & trans were from a '79 620 KC

going into a '71 521

and now the questions...

the 4 speed has a flange on the output shaft

IMG_0356.jpg

The 5 speed has a sleeve

IMG_0358.jpg

Also, the 5 speed is longer and came with a different crossmember/mount setup

IMG_0359.jpg

the 4 speed crossmember/mount

IMG_0360.jpg

I'm assuming that I will need to use the 620 L20b driveshaft... It came from a kingcab, so it will be too long- will have to shorten it.

Does anyone know if the regular cab 620 driveshaft will bolt up? carrier bearing in same location?

also, has anyone else had to rig up a different mount setup? any tips are appreciated!!!

what other driveshaft options am I looking at?

thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the L20B mmts.

The front half of the later 620 two piece d/s should fit. Almost 100% sure it will have the same bearing location and should bolt to the 521 rear half at the U joint. Maybe the whole 620 d/s will swap right in??? If so be sure to replace all U joints.

Tranny mount: On each in side of the 620 frame is a gusset that the tranny mount pate bolts to. Make, or cut these off and weld onto the 521 frame and now you can use all the 620 rear tranny mount hardware.

Use the L20B mmts.

The front half of the later 620 two piece d/s should fit. Almost 100% sure it will have the same bearing location and should bolt to the 521 rear half at the U joint. Maybe the whole 620 d/s will swap right in??? If so be sure to replace all U joints.

Tranny mount: On each in side of the 620 frame is a gusset that the tranny mount pate bolts to. Make, or cut these off and weld onto the 521 frame and now you can use all the 620 rear tranny mount hardware.

Thanks Mike-

I still have access to the old driveshaft from the L20b. hopefully i can use the front shaft and mate it to the the back of the 521 shaft...!

As far as the old frame and tranny mount gussets, the truck went to the scrappers with them. I have the crossmember, but anything that was welded, stayed on it.

Looks like I'll be modifying the 4spd mounts... fhew.