Good machine shop for block prep?

Any suggestions for a machine shop for block prep/bore etc. in the Portland area? I've used Steve's Precision Machine in the past, excelent work bu loooong turn around time. As far as head stuff I've been using Rick's in the Grove since my first car.

Edited by nismo dr
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've known guys to go to Bearing Service off of NW Everett. I sent a block there that's now in DISLEXIC's 510. He's seems to like it. ;-) The turn around time was still pretty long though. Pretty sure that's common w/ majority of the machine shops. I also used a place off of NE Glisan and 33rd (or 36th?). Can't remember the name, but they did an awesome job on my cyl head.

-Brian

Hate to sound cliche-ish here but.....The busier a place is, it is usually an indicator that they are good. If you go to a place and all the guys are standing around with nothing to do.....it usually means everyone figured out a better place to take it. Talk to your guy and say that you like to use him but the turn around time is long. See if there is anything you can do to expedite the services. My guy charges an extra 20-50 bux to rush it in, but depending on the situation, its usually worth it.

I used Schapps machine by far the best around its 45 min north of you.He has done all my work fast reasonable and good. What made me stick with him is i have seen motors he has built 10 years ago still taking shots of nitrous at a local sand drag comp. also while we where at the race about 6 other guys had motors built by them and had no complaints were talking 400+hp motors

Edited by freaky510
I used Schapps machine by far the best around its 45 min north of you.He has done all my work fast reasonable and good. What made me stick with him is i have seen motors he has built 10 years ago still taking shots of nitrous at a local sand drag comp. also while we where at the race about 6 other guys had motors built by them and had no complaints were talking 400+hp motors

I'll give them a call - longetivety is a good thing - sand drag boys are pretty damn hard on their equipment

Im totally not trying to bag on anybody here. Its just a question.

WHY?? is it that everybody gives credit to the engine builder when an engine is still together after XX years of taking abuse. Seriously if somebody pays attention to details and specs, you are the same as a good builder, of course if you have the same equipment.

The other 95% is the parts and luck. ESPECAILY Nitrous, as most know one lean gulp of air and you have a flower planter. Shitty stock parts in a modified setup, BOOM, most people opt to reuse or go cheap and the motor pays for it. This is something I think 95% of people dont factor in....

I have built a few motors in 23 years. I have done the cheap way stock application never expecting to modify the motor. All the way up to the heavy mods not for street use motors. I can say with out a doubt most of my engine failures have come from bad parts, my error, or I pushed a motor beyond it's intended use.

Side note stock motor I first built 310,xxx miles on it as of this weekend. In a 65 P210 Volvo sedan. And that's 310,xxx after rebuild body has 567,xxx on it.

Im totally not trying to bag on anybody here. Its just a question.

WHY?? is it that everybody gives credit to the engine builder when an engine is still together after XX years of taking abuse. Seriously if somebody pays attention to details and specs, you are the same as a good builder, of course if you have the same equipment.

The other 95% is the parts and luck. ESPECAILY Nitrous, as most know one lean gulp of air and you have a flower planter. Shitty stock parts in a modified setup, BOOM, most people opt to reuse or go cheap and the motor pays for it. This is something I think 95% of people dont factor in....

I have built a few motors in 23 years. I have done the cheap way stock application never expecting to modify the motor. All the way up to the heavy mods not for street use motors. I can say with out a doubt most of my engine failures have come from bad parts, my error, or I pushed a motor beyond it's intended use.

Side note stock motor I first built 310,xxx miles on it as of this weekend. In a 65 P210 Volvo sedan. And that's 310,xxx after rebuild body has 567,xxx on it.

but do you have a machine shop to recommend? and I will be the builder just need it bored and whatnot

I used Five Star Engine Rebuilders 6817 N 56th Ave # B Glendale AZ 85301 623 939-0345, five working days for complete rebuild.

Five Starr picked up motor from my house, tore down, hot tanked block, chemically washed head, brushed oil & water ports, bored, turn main & rod journals, all new bearings, new .30 over pistons, rings, timing set, reconditioned rods, new oil pump, complete gasket set (Fel Pro). Completely rebuilt head, 3 angle valve grind, new cam, seals, guides, line bored, checked all surfaces and milled as needed, painted block and timing cover, installed all new brass freeze plugs, and reassembled. This cost me $1,100. 1 year unlimited mileage guarantee. I will be posting pictures of this motor in my build thread.

Very pleased with the service from Five Star Engines, and they are a busy shop just well organized.

Edited by Charlie69
Typo