Desperately need help with ka24e ASAP!

I have a '73 620 that I swapped a single cam ka24 into. I'm supposed to be moving back to Canada next week, and need this thing to make the trip. I'm running out of time!

It idles and revs fine, but when I drive it, it started backfiring every few minutes from both the intake and exhaust under load... mostly intake. Then it does it at idle. If I reset the ecu, it'll run fine again.

Also, the ecu isn't throwing any codes. :confused:

When I put my timing light to it, the timing marks are way off, but if I rotate the engine to tdc, the cam lines up. So the chain never skipped. If I turn the dizzy to try to time it, the bolt holes won't allow it to turn far enough. I took the bolt out to to turn, just to see, and it runs like crap. Any ideas? Really desperate.

P.S.

If i don't figure this out, anyone know any good, lower priced shipping companies that will ship from Sacramento, Ca to Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

distributor drive spindle sounds like its off.

What do you mean drive spindle? The part that meshes with the oil pump? The rotor points right at #1 at tdc, or do you mean inside the distributor somewhere? I'm new to nissans/datsuns, so please excuse my ignorance.

Also, wouldn't the sensor thing throw a code on the ecu?

shouldn't be point 'directly' at the number 1 plug when adjusted to max, so I would still suspect timing is off. Sounds like when you reset the ecu it goes into learning mode, or maybe closed loop?, once it figures out how far off the timing is, it returns to 'normal' and can't compensate.

Oh, ok. That makes sense! The crank angle sensor is sensing it is way off, is that what it is? So I have to pull the oil pump and realign it so that the dist is right in the middle, rotor pointing at #1 @ tdc, correct?

If the timing is correct and the engine runs when the ECU is reset then starts acting up,it is looking for some type of "input" that is missing.

Ok, I will have to check that when I get it to Canada somehow... I am in the middle of packing and finding a transport comapny that will pick this truck up on such short notice :eek: I leave friday.

Any pointers on what to check?

• 2 weeks later...