What are my radio options?

g-mam

I was hoping the factory radio in there would work. Light comes on, makes a pop in the speakers, but nothing else. This has got to be a hard one to get a radio to fit in that opening. I don't need anything fancy, just FM.

Is there a place that can repair an old radio?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would start scrounging the junkyards for any relatively modern 3-hole radio. Believe it or not they fit with some hassle.

74radio.jpg

I bought that one new in 2000, which was about the last time you could fine 'em at car audio shops. Just a low-budget Jensen. The opening in the 620 dash is actually bigger than it looks and fits a standard aftermarket 3-hole. Can't use the faceplate (too wide) but it required no alteration of the dash. Just a bugger to get it in there since the heater controls are in the way. I've bought a couple stereos at junkyards so I don't hack up the dash. Just find one where the knob shafts are adjustable.

The other option is to get a factory 77-79 console (or homemade) and put whatever you want in there. I have several vehicles with the stock radio in the dash and an aftermarket one in the console.

83radio.jpg

That's my 720, but my '76 KC and my '78 510 have the same 2-radio setup. The 720 and late 510 had much smaller factory radio openings that would have neccesitated cutting up the dash facias, and I don't do that.

i got a 2 knob sony, vintage 1990, in my 73. fit BEAUTIFULLY. in the 78 i got a Pioneer Premeir CD. that was a bitch to make fit but i got it. the 2 knob was a whole lot easier to make work. if you can find a working one i would go that route. otherwise, get out the dremel.

The antenna cable may be disconnected from the radio.

First thing I checked. The antenna is broken, but enough there to get local stations for sure.

Edited by g-mam