Shift lever question...

g-mam

I took the plate off the shifter today to paint. The big boot inside and the one on top of the trans was toast. I had a new one to go on the trans. The shifter had about 1/8" of play on each side of the shifter between the ears where the stud and c-clip go. I put a washer in there to take up some of the play, but this was really sloppy. I may have to put one on the other side, but need one thinner. Is this normal?

Anyone have a good cheap source for the big boot you see in the cab?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah its normal

the nylon bushings wear out after a while. you can get a new set of brass ones on ebay for 10 bux

I bought a set and it took care of the slop, dont have a source for the shifter boots tho sorry. you can probably measure the opening then find something at a j/y or auto parts store?

If anyone has pics and or directions on how you get rid of this slack in the shift lever I would really appreciate it. Trying to save money this month (cos I bought the damn truck!) and would like to get the cheap fixes learned and excecuted for my own satisfaction.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is considered thread hi-jacking... :confused:

If anyone has pics and or directions on how you get rid of this slack in the shift lever I would really appreciate it. Trying to save money this month (cos I bought the damn truck!) and would like to get the cheap fixes learned and excecuted for my own satisfaction.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is considered thread hi-jacking... :confused:

Can't do pics right now as I have it back together, and that inner boot was a pain, but:

1. Remove the plate
  2. Remove the rubber boot
  3. There is a pin going through the shifter with a C-Clip, remove the clip
  4. Remove the pin
  5. Put a washer on either side of the shifter to take up the slack
  6. Assemble in reverse order.

yeah its normal

the nylon bushings wear out after a while. you can get a new set of brass ones on ebay for 10 bux

I bought a set and it took care of the slop

Guys, this is the answer to your questions. The factory nylon bushings just "go away" after time. The outer "collar" deteriates causeing slop from side to side. If the inner section is gone you will be able to rotate your shifter back and forth in a circular motion. The brass replacements will take care of both these issues.

Personally, I used a early '80"s 200SX shifter. It's shorter and has a setup like the 720's. Just take the plastic pieces, spring and ball out, turn the plastic upside down and put everything back together. Works great!

Hope this helps answer your questions.

BTW, I got the Brass Bushings. Had to hammer them in, then it was too wide to go into the ears. Had to file them down. It was a real bitch then getting the pin back in.

But, now that it's done, there is NO SLOP at all!