Gauge Cluster HELP!

HOW DO YOU GET THE DAMN GUAGE CLUSTER OUT!!!??? Ok, I know about the 3 screws. there are some bolts on the botom... the part I am getting hung up on is the darn Cigarette lighter! How do you unattach that. I tried turning, pulling, kicking, sawing... WTF do I have to do to get it unattached!

EDIT: Sorry this is on a 1978 620 Pickup.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why most facias are destroyed. Most folks don't know how to remove it, or have too big of hands to reach it.

You have to unscrew the cig lighter retainer from behind. It holds the cig lighter assembly to the METAL part of the dash. It surrounds the entire cig lighter, reverse bayonet style, and forms the ground connection. It isn't easy to reach- there's only 2 ways, through the radio hole or up from underneath (which means removing the ash tray bracket). Usually the retainer is corroded in place, so fingers won't get it... I use a pair of channellocks to get it started, then use fingers the rest of the way. Once you know how it's easy- I can get dash facias out in a couple minutes. Hardest part for me is getting the cluster wiring off the circuit board without breaking that.

Small hands are a plus here. Expect many small cuts.

• 3 years later...

That's why most facias are destroyed. Most folks don't know how to remove it, or have too big of hands to reach it.

You have to unscrew the cig lighter retainer from behind. It holds the cig lighter assembly to the METAL part of the dash. It surrounds the entire cig lighter, reverse bayonet style, and forms the ground connection. It isn't easy to reach- there's only 2 ways, through the radio hole or up from underneath (which means removing the ash tray bracket). Usually the retainer is corroded in place, so fingers won't get it... I use a pair of channellocks to get it started, then use fingers the rest of the way. Once you know how it's easy- I can get dash facias out in a couple minutes. Hardest part for me is getting the cluster wiring off the circuit board without breaking that.

Small hands are a plus here. Expect many small cuts.

That was very helpful for me just now, thank you!