Anyone ever experiment with different subframes?

Brydon

I was wondering if anyone has tried updating to newer subframes on there 510. 240sx, 300z, etc. I would think this would make brake upgrades, suspension upgrades, and overall handling better. Probably would have to shorten the subframe and some other custom issues. Wanted to try this when I start my 71 510 project in the winter.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a S13 rear subframe sitting in my garage and made several measurements and looked at fitment and the modifications needed, and let's say it's not for the faint hearted. It will require some cutting to the 510's body at the inner wheel wells to allow for upper control arm movement etc. May as well make a custom rear suspension because will probably require less work and if designed right, it can outperform a something else that has been modified to fit.

What I want to do now is get my hands on a 510 wagon so I can see if it will work better there, though the big issue will be where & how to connect the shocks.

I have a S13 rear subframe sitting in my garage and made several measurements and looked at fitment and the modifications needed, and let's say it's not for the faint hearted. It will require some cutting to the 510's body at the inner wheel wells to allow for upper control arm movement etc. May as well make a custom rear suspension because will probably require less work and if designed right, it can outperform a something else that has been modified to fit.

What I want to do now is get my hands on a 510 wagon so I can see if it will work better there, though the big issue will be where & how to connect the shocks.

What if the subframe was shortened left to right along with the axles.

I have a RX7 turbo II parts car with complete subframes. The front and rear are wider but it looks easy enough to shorten it and weld it back together. Aluminum A-arms and better suspension is very appealing.

Mini tubbing and sheet metal massaging doesn't scare me and I need to fit more meet under the stock body anyway. I just don't want to be changing the original frame. The car will be a driver so tube framing the rear is not on my list of things to do or I would just build the rear subframe custom.

But please tell me more since I do not have much experience with the 510 body but I have a large shop, lift, tig, wire feed welder, and all kinds of tools for making metal fab.

Nice, Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to see. It looks as if there really wasn't a ton of modding up front either. BMW generally has a much higher caster angle than Japanese cars so the strut towers would probably be easier with JDM crossmembers. I assumed reinforcing the strut towers and changing location would be a must. Now I'm a little more excited to start since someone else has already felt my pain.

With coilovers you should be able to adjust the car to proper ride height as well.

I have a RX7 turbo II parts car with complete subframes. The front and rear are wider but it looks easy enough to shorten it and weld it back together. Aluminum A-arms and better suspension is very appealing.

been done. search vgwagon on the510realm. he has a good writeup about it.

i think that a ford 8.8 would be the easiest to mod, and get LSD :D

especially in a wagon :w00t:

The 240sx rear suspension setup is *totally* different than the stock 510. It'd be a lot easier to do 280ZX, 300ZX, or M30 rear ends. They are at least of similar design. The problem then is width. Be easier to section one of those, than the 240sx setup.

I have box flares, so the width is not an issue for me, but I do plan on using an entire rear end setup with CV's from either the 280ZXT, 300ZX, or M30.

been done. search vgwagon on the510realm. he has a good writeup about it.

i think that a ford 8.8 would be the easiest to mod, and get LSD :D

especially in a wagon :w00t:

It was a wagon. Sorry I should have said I have a 71 2 door. They also used a solid axle and adapted the brakes onto it. Which is exactly what i would never do. I want a modern suspension. I'll leave the solid axle in my 66 GTO and update the 510.

the owner of madddat narrowed an s13 rear subframe for the back of his 1200 ute

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38998&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Front, I think I'd look into AE86 front ends, similar enough track width plenty of aftermarket parts available and R&P steering. I doubt you'd need to move the strut towers either.

Edited by nick_m