milky brake fluid?

Farmer Joe

so i bought a new brake master cylinder today. got it installed and half ass bled the brakes so the fiance and me could go to dinner. so after dinner i got ahold of my buddy to help bleed the brakes.

so i get the back ones bled with no air from them... i thnk the load sensing valve is givin me grief and holding some air on it. anyways, that beside the point. now i get to the front passenger wheel and start bleeding it.

now i get some air, but the fluid is milky white... i dont get it... when i bled it the first time i didnt get any milky looking fluid. i got air and dark fluid.

so whats causing the milky fluid? its looks like the fluid is super airated or something. doesn anyone know whats going on with my brakes?

thanks in advance!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience thats water contamination and you should flush/change the fluid asap.

Edited by 72240z
I CARE TOO!!! lol
In my experience that water contamination and you should flush/change the fluid asap.

If you are going to drain and flush, use Castrol DOT4 brake fluid in place of the common DOT3. It is less susceptable to moisture infiltration and has a higher boiling point so is better for disc brakes. Silicone brake fluid is non moisture adsorbent and has an even higher boiling point but has a spongey feel to the brake pedal. If you have to panic stop you don't want to be worried about whether your brakes are working, you want a good firm pedal.

Edited by MikeRL411
spelling [some of us do care]
  • 12 years later...

I have the same issue. There is no moisture in the whole system. I replaced calipers pads, wheel cylinders shoes rotors and drums I totally emptied the lines of all old fluid and bled with new. The large rear master reservoir keeps turning white and i know is air NOT WATER. There is no leak at the back of the master. I confirmed by removing it from the vacuum booster and i have no leaks anywhere in the lines and for the life of me cant figure out why this is doing this My peddle is still spongy