what do i do?

phidius

This is my first datsun and i know i dont have to but im kinda in one of those go big or go home moods. i picked up my 71 521 and i love it but i just dont know where to get parts or what kind of mods i can get or even if everything has to be custom. Here are a couple questions i have?

-what nissan motors can fit?

-what suspension works best for when lowering the truck all around?

-Can i upgrade the brakes?how?

-what bucket seats would be recommended to fit the best?

thanks for reading any help would be great!!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-what nissan motors can fit?

Just about any Nissan four-cylinder motor from a RWD model can fit without too much trouble...

The 2nd easiest, and most famous swap is take out your L16 and fit an L20B. First easiest is to buy a hot-rodded L16 and replace your regular L16. But the L20B swap will be less expensive and similar performance.

the only awnswer to to your qustions is the seat qustion: if its a single cab witch it is and your wanting to go with bucket seats you have to get very thin walled seats, like to ones from a 93-96 (i think those are the years and if im worng some will corect me and help u out more) honda civic seats, there pretty think and will allmost bolt right in with very little mods

Ill be stuffin a vg30et (300zx turbo v6) in mine..you really can put anything you want in it. A larger v6 or v8 will take some modification tho.

You can do alot with the front torsion bars. Either loosen them up or re set em by pullin em out and re-inserting them into the lower control arm at a diff location. The rear is easily lowered with blocks.

Upgrading the brakes... theres a few ways to go on that one. If you do some diggin youll find it. But for the front the best change is by swapping out the entire assembly with a later model 720 ball joint suspension. Upgrading brakes from there is easier and you now have balljoints. Tho you do need a custom upper control arm from Beebani for that setup. Ive seen rears swapped to disks from rodeos and honda pilots, tho i dont have specifics.

Im plannin on runnin the civic buckets.

Go with the nissan forklift motor from model pnhs 445334. These are 4 cylinder motors that run on propane. The model of forklift can be found just about any were as they were made from 1973-1992. Make some calls at local forklift repair shops as they usually have the several laying around. As far as the tranny you can use the 280z 5 speed but you have to buy or make a adapter for it to mount to the forklift motor. The adapter is part number 29002852334 and can be orderd through carlsperformance.com. seats. Just grab two low back fork lift seats. They work great. Hope this helps. P.s. the swap is pretty much a bolt and go but dont put the forks on the front of your truck lol.

Browse some of the old posts and most of your questions will be answered.

I am a Lseries engine guy, alot of KA guys aout there. engine choice is all yours,

Brakes I know of 2 guys that make brake brackets for disc conversions...Jason, screen name, "Beebani" And Mike screen name "MKlotz" check out their past blogs and I am sure they will help you out.

Lots to do and alot of people to help you out on this web site...Good luck and welcome...

1. Welcome Phidius to this site.:D

2. Put pics of your Datsun on this site.:cool:

3. Read this site.;)

4. Make a decision based on what you read and see here and start your project. Make sure you start a project thread and show us many pics of the process.:D Now here is the most important part, FINISH YOUR PROJECT so you can drive it to all the shows and meets with pride:cool:

Good Luck