Datsun 210 Pitman Arm Question!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one pitman arm connecting the sector shaft to the steering cross rod. Go to dealer and order this: 48502 H8500 about $55.

If you mean the idler arm on the other side, ask for 48551 H1000 about $45

If you want the complete idler arm assy., then 48530 H6100 about $100

You may just be able to just replace the worn bushings inside 48554 H1000 about $4 each, need two.

I have never seen one that need the idler replaced. The $4 bushings always restore it to like-new.

The 210 pitman arm (steering gear arm) has no ball-joint, there is nothing in the pitman to wear out unless maybe it was in a wreck or loose.

Instead, the cross-rod has the joints:

ES2450_TOP.jpg

So the Idler arm is on the passenger side correct?? I just got off the phone with the dealership they told me the iddler arm is the one (passenger side) that has bushings, not the Pitman arm. I think I am going to just get the bushings as they are the ones that are rotted out. They are $7 a pop. Thanks again to both of you.

Edited by Capital15
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah...the shaking starts at bout 20mph-30mph,(2nd gear) its bad...it shakes almost the whole front passenger side and I have to literaly come to a comlete stop to keep it from shaking. I do have Weld Skinnies on the front and I have been told those wheels are hard to get the balance right. Well, nevertheless the idler arm bushings were not even there!!! the previous owner was using a piece of hose in-between the iddler arm instead of bushings!!! Crazy!!

• 2 months later...

Well...what can I say...the shaking just does not want to stop...I just got both wheels balanced and it continues. I have not aligned the car after I got the wheels balanced...do you guys think I should get it aligned? The only reason I have not done it is because I do not want to lose my money on an alignment and later find out I have to replace another piece which in the end will make the car need another aligment. I think I am leaning towards changing the cross rod joints now. Man!!! Frustrating!!!

Well...I had my brother in law take a look at it and we adjusted the steering box, via the nut and set screw. Now I have no play in my steering wheel at all. (it was bad before the adjustment) He recommended for me to replace the stabilizer bar bushings (what is the part number for them?) as well as getting it aligned after I replace them. Anyone know or can agree with what he is recommending?

Edited by Capital15
  • 2 weeks later...
Well...I had my brother in law take a look at it and we adjusted the steering box, via the nut and set screw. Now I have no play in my steering wheel at all. (it was bad before the adjustment) He recommended for me to replace the stabilizer bar bushings (what is the part number for them?) as well as getting it aligned after I replace them. Anyone know or can agree with what he is recommending?

That's all well and good but be sure to have both wheels off the ground and turn from lock to lock. There must be NO binding or tight spots whatever.

The gears wear the most in the straight ahead position and get loose. If you remove all play (or close to it) and then turn to the extreme right or left where there is almost no wear the gears can bind... you do not want this while driving. Be sure to check this!