Help with fusible link

ser240z

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reponses.

datzenmike, I'm not sure what color it is. Kinda looks like a brownish, orangish, almost like rust. I found another site that said this color that is stated to be brown is actually supposed to be red. Can you confirm this?

ggzilla, thanks. Not really a pick a part too close to me and I checked with the auto stores. Autozone was the only one that had it, special order and it runs $10. I was thinking about picking up a couple just in case, but thought that maybe I can convert it to a regular fuse, and make it a little easier if it ever blows again.

Thanks

Scott

The 610 uses two different colored wires - I will get the correct colors from the 1973 FSM tomorrow

Or today...:rollseyes:

Brown---0.3 sq. mm. (0.0005 sq. in.)-----Continuous Current = 11A-----Max current (fuse melts within 5 seconds) = Approx. 60A [Roughly translates to 22GA]

Red-----0.85 sq. mm. (0.0013 sq. in.)----Continuous Current = 26A-----Max current (fuse melts within 5 seconds) = Approx. 250A [Roughly translates to 18GA]

Hope this helps.

Edited by zerow
You can't use a fuse. The Fusible Link has special characteristics. You can use a fusible link from another car. I am using a ford mustang fusible line (wire) in my Datsun. Just a special piece of wire.

It can sustain a current spike that would blow a fuse without it blowing. It acts like a slo-blow fuse and heats up slowly and melts usually within a few seconds. The outer Hypalon coating is designed to melt but not catch fire.... supposedly. It is there in case of a severe current draw such as in an accident where wires are crushed and grounded.

Thanks for the help everyone. I got some universal fusible link at Autozone, 16GA rated to 1.0 sq mm, but cut to length which was a little less than half ( was trying to match up to stock, about the same gauge and length), crimped it into the stock connectors, and plugged it back in. Worked great! I got my lights and everything working except the gauges. I can't figure that one out yet. I took the car for my first drive last night.

Thanks

Scott