5-spd trans making noise

Ever since I swapped the 1995 KA24DE (with its 5-spd trans) into my 610, the trans has made some noises.

Every time I drive the car I try to figure out what it is.

Acceleration: quiet

Decelleration: quiet

Cruising (light or no load): noisy!

It only seems to pop up when I am crusing at very light throttle, like on the freeway maintaining a constant speed, and the engine/trans have very little load on them. Then if i slowly lay into the gas and load the drivetrain, it stops.

Exact same noise happens in all gears.

Sounds kind of like loose parts rattling together. It is fairly loud and obvious.

I wish i could describe it better, but car sounds are hard to explain.

Dont know if it is actually the trans, maybe the driveline? I dont know...

Has anyone had a similar situation? any feedback?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mine rattles like that too, but i only have a little exhaust lol. stops right after the cat, and has nothing holding it but the mani itself.

also, depending on what the rpms are doing, my shifter rattles. the bushings are tight but it has a little grease or something down in there and it just rattles. stops at different rpms, or if i just rest my hand on the shifter. its not very loud, just enough to be annoying

• 4 weeks later...

update!

after spending some more time in the car, the noise immediately goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed. No matter what speed, gear, or RPM, it shuts up immediately with the clutch, then if i let the pedal out, it is back.

I checked for rattles and nothing is rattling, it has oil, I am pretty sure I am going to have to pull the trans...

there are two plugs on a Datsun trans one on the bottom and one on the side proper oil level should be to the bottom of the hole on the side plug make sure it is to that level. It sounds like parts running dry namely input shaft bearings.