New Hardbody - needs new engine!!

pliggity

What up everyone... I just picked up a '90 Hardbody with a blown engine, and I have a single cam KA24E out of a 91 240sx...

I've searched around and couldn't really find anything specific...but I'm trying to figure out whats needed to get the 240sx engine in and running with wiring and what not... because I know the manifolds are different and the ECU is in a different location.

Thanks in advance. I'll have some pictures up by the end of the weekend.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What up everyone... I just picked up a '90 Hardbody with a blown engine, and I have a single cam KA24E out of a 91 240sx...

I've searched around and couldn't really find anything specific...but I'm trying to figure out whats needed to get the 240sx engine in and running with wiring and what not... because I know the manifolds are different and the ECU is in a different location.

Thanks in advance. I'll have some pictures up by the end of the weekend.

First you will need to put the truck oil pan and pick up tube on the 240sx motor. The truck has a rear sump, the car is front and so won't fit.

I would run the truck EFI intake and sensors on the 240sx motor, bang, done. You may be able to use the 240sx intake with sensors and 'graft' the truck wiring to it. You would also then have to find room for the Mass Air Flow meter, air filter and the piping for it.

Look over on infamousnissan.com for info on 240sx intake swap.

You'll have to modify (cut, lower, fill with new metal, weld) the truck oilpan to accommodate the main bearing girdle on the 240sx block. I can't remember for sure if the pickup tube needs any tweaking.

I too would recommend just using the 240sx longblock and putting the truck externals on it, including accessories, belts, pulleys. Also use the clutch and flywheel from the truck to match up with the transmission.

Might want to pop the head off too just to check it all out.

Yeah, forgot about the girdle or even if it clears the truck oil pan. If the truck is a standard, use truck flywheel and clutch, but a new release bearing.

If the 240sx was an automatic, don't forget to install a pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft and be sure to remove the auto flex plate spacer on the end of the crank. If it's a standard you're pretty much ready to go.

I was under the impression that with the engine brackets from the 240sx it would space the engine up high enough to clear with the oil pan out of the car? What exactly are you trying to say about cutting and welding the truck oil pan to get onto the 240sx longblock? I'm kinda new to the Nissan camp.It needs to be taller to clear the girdle?

How are peeps putting in an SR20det in these trucks then with stock oil pans??

The car oil pan has the deepest part to the front because the steering cross rod is in the back. The truck is opposite with the steering in the front and so the truck pan is deepest in the rear. The deeper car oil pan may not clear the truck steering rod. You may be able to space it higher and hammer a dent in it to clear???

ya, i see that... someone on infamousnissan put a car KA24E into the truck, but were very vague with wiring instructions... other than use the truck lower harness, car upper harness, and "tap a wire into the fuse block" and "1 in the car" ...oh well...i guess i will have to figure it out soon enough??

thanks for the help thus far!

The truck EFI wiring is mixed in with all the electrical wires going to the front of the truck and is virtually impossible to separate. BUT it should plug into most if not all the 240sx EFI sensors. You may have to lengthen some wires to reach the 240sx throttle plate where the throttle position sensor is and over to where the mass air flow meter is. This is why I say swap the truck intake on and everything will fit.

ya...i hear you about simplicity....

but...

i'm going to be putting an sr20 in very soon, so i might as well get everything figured out before hand as far as wiring on my truck...

plus this engine was rebuilt and dyno'd 150hp to the wheels, so i'd like to retain everything that comes with it, including the eccs intake manifold!

has anybody done any custom sub-frame installs? for disc brakes and suspension adjustability??