Electric 1970 521

what

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John Wayland said that for about $4.5k you can do it on the cheap. About 6k for a decent setup, as long as you have a truck (or suspension) that can take the weight of the batteries.

You can either go for long range (high amp-hours) or high power density (cranking amps).

I want to either make a veggie turbodiesel or go plug-in electric.

Can't wait to see the Wayland invitational at Portland Int'l raceway :)

I really cant say enough to down running unesterified veg oil, please don't. It's actually very bad for the environment and the people in it. Convert it to bio.

I'm working on a bamboo bike but after that I REALLY want a electric moped.

Was thinking to use a LD28T in my z but they really just can't make any real power.

72240z, I was wondering about that.

I know someone who has a hardwood reclaimation business and he runs 75/25 veggie / ethanol in his Dodge / Cummins fleet.

I don't see any black smoke (or smell french fries) from his exhaust. He seems to think that if you convert it to bio using sodium hydroxide (titration) and make glycerin as a by-product, that the "lye" is worse for the environment. I'm not sure I buy that.

But, he has over ~2900 gallons of the stuff and cannot use it fast enough!! Imagine that...having $10k worth of fuel for "free". :blink:

He says he can do a burnout @ 45 MPH, and puts those Honda ricers to shame at the stoplights...

Edited by hughdogz
72240z, I was wondering about that.

I know someone who has a hardwood reclaimation business and he runs 75/25 veggie / ethanol in his Dodge / Cummins fleet.

I don't see any black smoke (or smell french fries) from his exhaust. He seems to think that if you convert it to bio using sodium hydroxide (titration) and make glycerin as a by-product, that the "lye" is worse for the environment. I'm not sure I buy that.

But, he has over ~2900 gallons of the stuff and cannot use it fast enough!! Imagine that...having $10k worth of fuel for "free". :blink:

He says he can do a burnout @ 45 MPH, and puts those Honda ricers to shame at the stoplights...

Ya I mean I had similar plans too, it SEEMS like the magic sauce but it really just doesn't stay on the bun lol. I do a lot of reading over at ecomodder. There is really a lot to it most people don't realize.

Lye is not good either but when it's from the conversion process you have a choice at least to dispose of it in a safe and responsible manner. When you flat out smother the people around you in carcinogens and other lovely things I think its being irresponsible and unfair. My friend got really sick driving behind some guy burning straight veggi, pulled over and passed out, had to go to the hospital.

I'm not sure the result of a ratio like that honestly but at least its not 100%.

Tell you what too I'm very envious of his biz. Hard wood reclamation is in my top5 things I'd love to do for a living.

I believe the breaking the wheels loose. Diesels are just superior motors, thats all there is to it. That's why Audi was dominating le mans with their r10 diesel powered cars and Peugeot following that recipe followed with a win.

Have you checked into building an LD28T(T:rolleyes:)? Im curious as to how one would take the bigger turbo/pump/injector/propane treatment. Ive heard of some patrols that make some good torque numbers. I dont know how the diesel would be for say an autocross car as the turbo lag would probably suck but it would be a blast for some twisty hill climb action...

Whats the effective RPM range on one of these motors? My cummins was sweet but with a six speed I literally had callouses from shifting in town. It was always fun to rap it up in third next to some boy racer in a stock shitbox honda with a fartcan and toss it in 6th when the tailpipe is right by their window... He he... Different kind of smoke show:lol:

I think a 620 with a modded LD22T would be sweet but everybody wants a ton of money for them and they are hard to find... and L20s are fun and damn near free in comparison...

I did a LOT of research into the LD series when I came into buying 4 lower mileage ld28s out in pa. Turns out nissan (UD?)and independent fork lift companies using the engine for industrial purposes retrofitted them with a turbo. At 7lb of intercooled boost it makes 124hp@4k and 210tq@2k, which is the max for the fuel pump. I haven't to this day seen anyone fit a different pump to allow more boost. LPG or (better imho) CNG injection is a good option but whats it going to gain you with all its complexity, 20% max?

I love diesels and I love that there is a L series one. It sucks though that it's impossible to make any impressive power with it. If I'm going to deal with a loud ass diesel click clacking and smoking all over the place I personally would want double what that motor is capable of. Because all said and done a l28et can handle the task well.

IDK what datsun pick up you would throw it into either its so long, heavy and would require so much fab work. My research was for a s30. I think a ld22t is a way better option for a pickup. They are taxed but what decent turbo diesel isn't?

I personally (for a datsun pickup) would take nothing less then a yd25ddti in all its glory. Direct injection common rail, neo vvt, intercooled hotness in a I4 package. That motor will rip stumps out all day and get you 50mpg on the way home blowing the doors off honda fan boys.

Edited by 72240z