Bought a 1971 521!

fisch

WOO-HOO! Just bought a 521! My first Dat truck. My first Dat ever. It is a pretty clean vehicle for the N. East, and a deal I couldn't pass up. I will post pics soon.

I have a ton of questions and hope y'all can help me out.

Do y'all have a check list for starting a car that hasn't been started for 10 years?! (gas tank leaked, so he ran it from a can before parking it.)

I should start w/ an oil change right? Pull plugs and put some oil down there?

Do I have to clean out the carb? Gas line is disconnected just after the filter. (leaky tank)

Scott- Will post pics soon!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you do change the oil, fill the new filter with fresh oil before screwing it back on the block. Take the valve cover off and set them, pour some of your oil change oil over the cam and down the front timing chain too. Replace the points, plugs and wires too. Get that gas tank fixed, and prime the carb with gas. I don't mean to pour gas down the throat, I mean to fill the float chamber so that when it starts it will keep running. Top up the rad and look for leaks.

What you want is for the motor to start as quickly as possible with lots of lubrication.