Hardbody brake question

Dudeman

So in the near future I'm planning on upgrading the front brakes on my '79 620 to hardbody rotors (drilled and slotted of course :D) and calipers, as well as Isuzu rears with fineline's brackets, and figure while I'm at it might as well replace worn out steering and suspension components. My question is am I able to use OEM 620 ball joints, or do I need hardbody ones? Is there even a difference? I'm wondering the same thing about bearings as well. All the research I've done indicate that the front brakes are a bolt-on affair, has anyone run into any trouble getting it to work? As always help and advice is appreciated!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to use the stock ball joints. The mounting stud on the ball joint is identical to the hardbody. The HB ball joint won't mount to the stock 620 arm though. In order to run the HB calipers, you need to run the HB spindles too, the caliper mounts different.

While you are at it, make sure that you use rotors and calipers from a 2wd v-6 hardbody.

Ya as soon as I get paid I'm going to hit the junkyards in search of some spindles and two piston calipers to rebuild. Any idea of a good master cylinder to use when running four wheel discs? I suppose one from anything with discs all around would work, but is there anything in particular that is easy to find/mount on a 620 firewall? And what are your 3.70 gears out of? Seems a bit tall, but I do want to gear up at some point, do you like your 3.70's?

Gracias for the info man.

Edited by Dudeman
early (79-81) 280zx is a good candidate.

The early 79-81 280zx master is a 15/16" bore, designed for four wheel disc, and bolts directly onto a stock 620 booster. Maybe i should say it bolted right onto my 76 booster and should fit other years as well.

As far as my gears, I have been through several sets of gears in this truck now. Originally i had the stock 4.375, Those were changed out in favor of a set of 4.11 gears. The 4.11's were a waste of time, not even close to enough change. Next came a set of 3.70's from a 85 720. Incredible improvement in interior noise, but a little too much gear, had to feed it a little too much skinny pedal on the highway to keep it going, but it was happy to cruise at about 80mph. Currently in the truck for about three weeks now is a set of 3.90 gears with aluminum carrier from a 510 wagon. These are by far the best gears yet. Comfortable cruise rpm's, still quieter than stock inside, and i dont seem to have to feed(fuel) as bad on the highway. And i still cant find the top speed where i run out of gear or motor.:cool:

3.90 gears sound about right, that's probably what I will be doing eventually. When you say they were out of a 510 wagon do you mean a '78 or later? Do they come with H-190's? My buddy has a 78 510, maybe he'll want to get rid of his gears and throw some 4.375's in it :D

So in the near future I'm planning on upgrading the front brakes on my '79 620 to hardbody rotors (drilled and slotted of course :D) and calipers, as well as Isuzu rears with fineline's brackets, and figure while I'm at it might as well replace worn out steering and suspension components. My question is am I able to use OEM 620 ball joints, or do I need hardbody ones? Is there even a difference? I'm wondering the same thing about bearings as well. All the research I've done indicate that the front brakes are a bolt-on affair, has anyone run into any trouble getting it to work? As always help and advice is appreciated!

Im doing that setup also. Use Stock ball joints. Rockauto shows that the HB, up to 94, uses the same bearing as the 78-79 620. But you need the oil seal from a HB.

Ive change the spindles, rotors, calipers and wheel hub. All hard body. I have pics in my build thread in my sig. line

Good luck.

Larry

Badass build, I love the powdercoating, and that is almost exactly the set up I want to run. Another question, though, is what size wheels are you guys running? I have 15'' toyota 4x4 rims, and some of what I've read indicates a 15'' rim will fit the 10.8'' hb rotors/calipers and some people say I need 16's. Yello620, I see you have a set of Frontier rims for sale, if I need a bigger rim and they're still for sale when I get paid I may be PMing you. If my 15's work though I'll prolly stick with them (they don't look half bad). Thanks all for the help, this forum and everyone on it are the shit.

• 5 months later...

Finally got all the parts for the swap except HB spindles and hubs. I called all the local salvage yards and have found 4 cylinder spindles (which i have been told will work) but no hubs (which have to be from a V6). Anybody have any ideas as to where I might be able to find hubs? Might just be a matter of looking till I find em, but I figured I'd post on here to see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks

The guy at the junkyard said that because the rotors are different he was pretty sure the hubs were different as well. But he didn't seen over confident in that, and I would trust that you are more knowledgeable on the subject than he is. Either way I'll let you know in the next few days