620 tranny question

fiveoneohray

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one thanks. And yes it should fit. I have a 280 Z 5spd in my '78. It replaced the stock one and fit no worries. The Automatic I have is from another '78 and is the same length as the 5spd. So A=B=C or automatic = stock 5spd = 280 5spd.

Check my thread in the drivetrain section......

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=523

Granted i did the swap into a 521 but theres some info there im sure you can use such as TO bearing,clutch slave & clutch plate info. Obviously youll need to install a clutch master & the extra pedal in the cab. Basically if the Z trans. is the same length as the auto no driveshaft mods will be ness. Do the auto 620's have the same frame crossmembers as ones equipped w/ manual tranny's? If hteres a diff. youll have trans. mount issues,,,Doug [holic]will know for sure.

Ray, I just measured the auto and std tranny and the mount is the same distance back from the engine on both. The bolt pattern for the mount looks the same too. If you can get it, the 280 Z flywheel/clutch/t o bearing/clutch arm/master and slave cylinders will work on the truck maybe even the pedals too.

Don't forget to buy a pilot bushing for the end of the crankshaft, $6 @ dealer. While you're there get the seal that goes in the back end of the transmission tail stock. They are $6 too at NAPA (fit all Nissans auto/std from '63 to '89) and are cheap insurance against a leak and may save you the trouble of pulling the driveshaft off to do it next month.