My 1974 620 Project

g-mam

Well,

I got the old step bumper off yesterday. A real knuckle buster. I'm taking it to scrap unless someone wants it.

dat_199.jpg

Looks cleaner now:

dat_870.jpg

I took the old license plate light off, and it was in pretty good shape. Need to paint it. The lens looks almost mint.

dat_890.jpg

dat_892.jpg

I had two small holes that were drilled in the rail. I JB Welded a piece of stainless screen underneath, then JB Welded the holes after I beveled the edges. I will sand it smooth, and I'm going to Herculiner the whole thing over the rail anyway. If it holds fine, if not, nothing lost.

dat_880.jpg

Here's the ugly part. This is the drivers floorpan. The cost to fix this scares me.

dat_888.jpg

The left tail light lens is cracked. I super-glued it, then put a big bead of clear epoxy on the back. I'll still see if I can find a cheap replacement. I am going to pull the whole housing and repaint them silver.

dat_884.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

620's rule! :D

Ok..toss the bumper or use it as an anchor.

The JB weld should hold fine if it was a small hole.

Floor pan not expensive at all to fix. Cut out the bad sections, make a template out of cardboard, buy some 14 gauge sheet metal, trim to fit & weld in. In a pinch you could rivet the new pan sections in & use seam sealer on the edges.

all in all its a pretty nice looking 620, when u fix the floorbord pm me and tell me how it went because i have to do that to my truck. and i allso have some rust in the bed im just going to weld sheet metal over and put a bed liner in it

One theleft side, when I tried to remove the lights from the housing to repaint, both bolts sheered off at the housing. This was even after soaking in break free.

So, I have two options. Get some 5x.08 threaded rod couplers, and extend the threads back with threaded rod.

MN164606.gif

Or try to break the weld holding rods in, and insert two M5x.08x30mm bolts in with some JB Weld on the heads to seal and hold them.

Which would you do?

One theleft side, when I tried to remove the lights from the housing to repaint, both bolts sheered off at the housing. This was even after soaking in break free.

So, I have two options. Get some 5x.08 threaded rod couplers, and extend the threads back with threaded rod.

MN164606.gif

Or try to break the weld holding rods in, and insert two M5x.08x30mm bolts in with some JB Weld on the heads to seal and hold them.

Which would you do?

Drill them out and use a bolt from the inside:D No welding necessary

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting the difference in how new car dealers east and west of the rockies "mark" the cars and trucks they sell - western dealers almost all use license plate frames with the dealer's name and city on them, while eastern dealers use body tags like the chrome one on your tailgate.

Wonder if it has anything to do with license plates being assigned to the car (and frequently staying on it for the life of the vehicle) in most western states, but belonging to the individual (and getting swapped from car to car) in many eastern states.......

I have seen that color on another truck, it was called buttercup but I wish I knew the color so I could paint my 620 that color. Great truck, just work at it and don't get discouraged.:rolleyes:

I had a 74 that color the datsun color code is 052