rhd swap info?

tyson

I have been doing alot of looking at my 66 520 while its been sitting in my garage, I decided tonite that It is going to be a rhd project. I tried searching a few times to get some info on the swap and didn't come up with weather or not the steering box will still work. It looks like it would work, has anyone tried it? Like I said its a 66, the one in my pic. I also thought I read something about flipping the King Pins to use the stock spindles as drop spindles? I looked and couldn't find that either after searching. Any help would be rad, I am out of work and would like to get something done to my truck while I'm off.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I have read through your build thread a while ago, makes me feel like a slacker, lol. is it definite no on reusing my stock box? The box you used looks like what I have on my 85 2wd yota, I can find those all day, make some mounting plates.

Thanks, I have read through your build thread a while ago, makes me feel like a slacker, lol. is it definite no on reusing my stock box? The box you used looks like what I have on my 85 2wd yota, I can find those all day, make some mounting plates.

i tried it and the steering was backwards,yes its a 85 toyota box,just drill and tap 2 holes and splice the toyota/datsun pitman arms together and your good to go:cool:

thanks for the info on the king pins, I will look into that for sure, I am having trouble figuring out why the steering would be backwards? If I pull everything from one side and replace it on the pass side exactly the same way it shouldn't change anything? I need to have someone crank on the wheel while I watch the steering to see what's really going on under my whirling death machine.:confused:

Look below in the parts wanted section. AUSSIEDAT69 wants to convert his 520 from right hand steering to left hand. Sounds loke a straight swap to me.

thanks, I will check him out, :)