5sp tranny

cody

Hey, i need to know if a 83 Z trans will go in my 78 620 !!!

is the clutch,pressure plate,etc... the same?? bcuz my clutch is like new and i dont wanna go and by another..

do i need to change my flywheel?

please tell me if youve done this or anything.. thanks..

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the '83 isn't from a TURBO car it will bolt right in. Use you flywheel/clutch disc and pressure plate. Make sure you use YOUR release bearing that's in the truck now. (well get a new one of course)

The speedo drive is the wrong size so your speedometer will read faster than you are actually going. Unfortunately you can't swap your truck cog into the '83 tranny.

I think you will have to use the 280zx shifter. It may be a little shorter than the truck one.

I have a '78, and when the L20B was in it I swapped an earlier 280z 5spd in with no problems. The earlier tranny could use the truck shifter and speedo cog.

Edited by datzenmike
I think you cant. They are mounted differently.

Well yes, the rear tranny mount on the 280zx is different from the truck. Just use the truck rear mount. Bolt pattern on the front is for an L motor so it will fit the L16/18/20B 4 cyl and L24/26/28 6 cyl.

The '77-'79 truck and 280z/zx were virtually the same tranny but for the different internal gear ratios. The '80-'83 had minor changes to the shift mechanism and rear tail stock, including the speedo cog mount, which is why the truck cog can't be swapped into it. But the basic '83 280zx non-turbo tranny is the same tranny and will bolt into the truck. It does, however have an insainly high over drive 5th gear ratio (0.745) compared to the '78 truck's (0.882)