Paint idea

Beau M

I'm a year or so away from throwing paint and whatnot on my 78' 280z 2+2. I told the wife she could pick the color, she really likes Satin Black. So I figured satin black with gloss black ZG flares and accents would look nice, with gloss black window trim and some tinted windows. Here is my question.

How would some nice wide whitewalls with steel wheels and trim rings look? I know the hot rod look is not normally associated with Z cars, but I think I could pull it off. Get some tasteful pinstripes done, what do you think? Even better, got any pictures of a Z done this way? Just thinking out loud here.

-Beau

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I love the idea. I'm quite partial to white walls and have wondered what they look like on a Z. And satin or flat colors always look gorgeous :)

If you end up doing this, I can't wait to see the finished product! it will be unique for sure :thumbsup:

I would photo shop it 1st, having seen white walls on s30's before. I didn't like it at all.

White walls are touchy, you have to have the right car to put them on or they look like crap imho.

The whitewalls might work but, but I have my doubts. I'd have to see it. I've been playing with the idea of a fenderless z car with a Fiat Topolino grill. Nothing worth showing yet. I find it tough to play with the z car. Such a solid, well thought out design. It is a challenge!

The whitewalls might work but, but I have my doubts. I'd have to see it. I've been playing with the idea of a fenderless z car with a Fiat Topolino grill. Nothing worth showing yet. I find it tough to play with the z car. Such a solid, well thought out design. It is a challenge!

Damn dude looking for a challenge eh? :eek:

I can see the trim rings on steelies, But I don't think a 2+2 with white walls is going to do it. But it's your car. Don't get me wrong, I love the old skool wide white look. But it has to be the right car, Just my two pennies. :D

I think the "rule" for white walls is anything pre 70's . I love white walls on anything but the truth is that they go with the styles of the 50s and 60s sedans or cruisers. Besides its expensive to get radial whites and the bias-ply are almost always junk.

Yeah, but I have seen a lot of modern mini trucks and whatnot pull it off. I dunno, I just don't want to look like everyone else with watanabe's or whatever. I will figure something out, its a ways off. The color has been decided though.