Hi-comp Z22e pistons?

troyt

I'm building a long rod L20 for the race Wagoon (L20b +2mm block, L20b crank, 6" Z20e rods, Z22e pistons). I'm using a V9182 head, and am looking for about a 12:1 CR. Has anyone found a source for higher compression Z22e pistons? I've had Ross and Venolia build custom ones before for L24s, but I was wondering if there are any off-the-shelf ones out there.

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm building a long rod L20 for the race Wagoon (L20b +2mm block, L20b crank, 6" Z20e rods, Z22e pistons). I'm using a V9182 head, and am looking for about a 12:1 CR. Has anyone found a source for higher compression Z22e pistons? I've had Ross and Venolia build custom ones before for L24s, but I was wondering if there are any off-the-shelf ones out there.

Thanks

call Troy Ermish he might be able to help he is right across the bay from you in fremont and has a shop full of vintage B sedan cars you would probably be interested in checking out, click the link in my sig to see his site

Clayton

12:1 CR? I just finished a L18 rebuild with 11.25:1 - and everyone warned me it will knock on pump gas, and my headgaskets will not last. With 12:1 are you not going to have detonation/knocking or pre-ignition? Especially with dome pistons - the flame has longer to travel than with flat tops. What is your squish band - the clearance between head and piston at TDC?

Edited by zed

"race wagon"

It will never see anything less than 100 octane, most tracks these days just sell 100 unleaded and 110 leaded. 12:1 works down to 100 octane with properly maintained cooling and ignition systems. 14:1 will work with 110 again with everything set up correctly. Modern electronically controlled cars can run 93 octane with 11:1, but Datsuns don't like much more than 10:1 on 93 octane pump gas. I raced my ITS 240Z with 9.5:1 CR for years on 92 octane pump gas, just mixed a gallon of leaded race gas in on hot wknds to help with pre-ignition (35 degrees adv on a MSD).

Of course this is just my $.02 worth, I'm sure others aren't as conservative as I am with their motors.

i have a new set of domed arias @ 88mm avail. est 12:1

stock L20b pin height.

Unfortunately they wont work on the 152.5mm Z20E rods.

Thanks

Sure substitute stock VG30E pistons. 87mm bore and same pin height as the Z20E pistons used on the 6" rods. It has a 1cc dish.

So.... 87mm bore 86mm stroke (2044cc motor) with 152.5mm rods, 31.75 pin height VG30E pistons with 1cc 'dish', 219 head and a minus .2mm deck height ... works out to 11.159 compression ratio.

This assumes the 219 head has a volume of 41cc and has not been milled. IF it has been milled, or you plan to mill it. Reducing the peanut chamber volume down to 36.7cc will give you your 12.10 compression. I don't know the area of a closed chamber combustion chamber but an open chamber head that is milled 1mm will reduce the combustion chamber volume by 5.9cc. 1mm off a closed chamber head would be less than that and probably very close to what you want.