KA to ZX 5sp join: Pilot Bearing/Bushing?

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

Does anyone know which pilot bearing or bushing to use, when doing the KA to ZX 5spd swap? How about the clutch sleeve? I've got an '83 ZX 5spd with Z24 bell, ready to go on as soon as I figure it all out. Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know which pilot bearing or bushing to use, when doing the KA to ZX 5spd swap? How about the clutch sleeve? I've got an '83 ZX 5spd with Z24 bell, ready to go on as soon as I figure it all out. Thanks

I assume that's an '83 non-turbo 5 spd that you are putting a Z24 front case on so you can use with a KA24E motor? You know that you will need to remove the 56mm countershaft bearing and press on a 62mm to fit the Z24 case? Also the 1st/2nd shift rod hole is too big?Use the pilot bushing for the motor you are using. All L, Z and KA24E, VG30E up to at least '90 used the same pilot bushing. Clutch sleeve is matched to the clutch size used, not the tranny.

Edited by datzenmike
Guest DatsuNoob

Yeah, doing the KA24de swap, using the Z24 bell and 83 zx non turbo trans.

The DE looks to be the same as the Z24 bell as far hole locations and dowel pins, I'm confident it'll work out fine. Also, what about the T.O. bearing, do you know if the KA and ZX are the same? Thanks for the info, I'll be getting the rest of the stuff I need very soon. Jason, did your ZX slave on the Z24 bell work out?

Edited by DatsuNoob
Guest DatsuNoob
I assume that's an '83 non-turbo 5 spd that you are putting a Z24 front case on so you can use with a KA24E motor? You know that you will need to remove the 56mm countershaft bearing and press on a 62mm to fit the Z24 case? Also the 1st/2nd shift rod hole is too big?Use the pilot bushing for the motor you are using. All L, Z and KA24E, VG30E up to at least '90 used the same pilot bushing. Clutch sleeve is matched to the clutch size used, not the tranny.

I guess what I meant to ask earlier about the pilot, is I'm using a 98 frontier 2.4de, 240sx aluminum flywheel, zx trans. So this being a total mutt setup,:lol: and the pilot bearing sits behind the flywheel, do I get the one that matches the frontier motor, or do I get the one for a 240sx since I'm using that flywheel, or does it matter?

Guest DatsuNoob

OK, frontier bushing it is. I opened the input shaft cover a few minutes ago. The neck that slips into the sleeve was broken, and upon closer inspection I found that the shift rod holes are in fact larger than the ZX bell, as for the countershaft bearing on the trans getting used, I got 2.201" for an O.D. on the bearing. Not sure what that equates to in the metric world, hopefully it equals less work :lol: I still cant identify exactly what model trans I have. There's a #3 stamped on the driver's side, not sure if that helps. Where should I be looking for an indication.

Edited by DatsuNoob
OK, frontier bushing it is. I opened the input shaft cover a few minutes ago. The neck that slips into the sleeve was broken, and upon closer inspection I found that the shift rod holes are in fact larger than the ZX bell, as for the countershaft bearing on the trans getting used, I got 2.201" for an O.D. on the bearing. Not sure what that equates to in the metric world, hopefully it equals less work :lol: I still cant identify exactly what model trans I have. There's a #3 stamped on the driver's side, not sure if that helps. Where should I be looking for an indication.

Measure the counter shaft hole in the Z bell. Likely it's 62mm so order a new counter bearing in that size and swap it. The 56mm counter bearing is subject to a lot of stress and will wear out and start growling. The larger 62mm one is a nice up grade. As for the shifter rod, only the top 1st/2nd should be the larger hole in the Z bell. What you need is a 1mm sleeve in the hole so it supports the 14mm rod in your zx tranny.

Guest DatsuNoob

Cool, doesnt sound too bad. About those sleeves... they're readily available at machine shops? Seem like they'd be easy to install. So my plan is to go get the 720 countershaft bearing, then back to the jy for the input cover and shim (since they're bigger now). Thanks for all the great info on this, I'm real excited to get started. Too bad I dont have a camera :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Got the bell swap done today, and am happy to say the shift rod holes in the bell housings of an 85 720 5 spd and an 83 zx 5spd are the same size!:D STOKED!:D Did the countershaft bearing and put it all together right before heading out for work. I'll post the nissan part number for that bearing in case someone else needs it for future reference.