Gauges that are usefull

Guest jaimesix

Guest jaimesix

Hi.

Since I am going to have my Datsun ready soon, I am thinking about gauges that are usefull and help monitor the engine conditions.

Useful gauges also help us because we learn what the normal temps/readings are for our particular cars, so when something reads wrong, we can prevent failure by acting in timely manner.

I am thinking about oil pressure and oil temperature gauges.

Adding a transmission temperature gauge would be good too. If there is any problem, like a leak, a tranny loosing fluid would begin to run hot, so by noticing the change on this gauge's reading, we would be one step ahead of any problems/failures, specially in summer times.

A Water Temperature gauge is a must.By monitoring the temperature, we can detect problems like a heater radiator clog, failing thermostat, etc, before the car overheats and compromises the cylinder head and engine.

A Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge is another one I am considering. Water and oil temps can change gradually, but cylinder head temps can change abruptly as a result of hard driving, hard acceleration, etc. Good way to monitor and prevent failure while having fun / street driving.

There is another one, Exhaust Temperature Gauge. That would be an indicator of performance and rich/lean mixtures.

What do you have or plant to add to your Datsun?

Jaime.______________________________________________________

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill eventually have a wideband AFR gauge. my turbo motor has a head temp sensor but it just goes to the ECU I dont have a gauge on it. wonder how hard that would be? Itd be nice to have a gauge for it.

right now i just have oil pressure, water temp, amp, and boost

Guest jaimesix
Ill eventually have a wideband AFR gauge. my turbo motor has a head temp sensor but it just goes to the ECU I dont have a gauge on it. wonder how hard that would be? Itd be nice to have a gauge for it.

right now i just have oil pressure, water temp, amp, and boost

Apparently it is not difficult. From what I read, there is a ring sensor that replaces the spark plug washer / compression ring on one of the spark plugs, and that is the connection...check it out!

http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-130.pdf

Jaime.______________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix
neat, gonna get me a gauge for it then :D

also saw and oil temp gauge on there that would be useful

Cool. I am getting a cylinder head temp too.

Voltage gauge. Definitely.

Datsun 1200 Gauges:

226.jpg

Voltage PLUS anmeter. Both are needed. The voltage tells you the volts in the battery, but the anmeter will tell you if the alternator is charging or not.

If the anmeter tells you the alternator is overcharging, but the voltage gauge tells you there is no juice, that means the batt is bad. If the volts say no juice, and the anmeter says no charge, the batt is fine, the alt is bad.

If the anmeter says alt overcharging, and the volts gauge says batt has more voltage than needed, alt is bad ( overcharging and cooking the batt)

If sirens sound loud and the rear view mirror shows a cop in a bike coming after you with dollar signs $$$$$$:eek: on his dark glasses...that means..... ( wrong paragraph..belongs to another topic! ):lol:

Jaime._____________________________________________________