74 Datsun 710 questions

Hey guys,

I just found a 74 710 for sale here in Massachusetts about 4 miles from me. It is on craigslist,and I just spoke with the guy selling it. He sent me a few pics,and it looks really nice,but he says there is no title. He also claimed it has some ridiculuosly low miles on it,and that it is all original. I don't really need anotehr car,but if it is as nice as it looks I may be inclined to buy it. The thing is he has no asking price in the ad,and wants to trade for a tractor or slide-in camper. I have neither,and when I asked about his price he said he would like to get as close to $2000 he can get. I have a hard time justifying that sort of cash for a car with no title. He says If I know someone in NH,or RI then I can "sell" it to them on paper,and get a title for it,but I don't know. I am headed out to look at it some right now. Any place I should look for typical rust? It is an automatic,and I would guess it is a L18,but I really have no idea what engines these cars had in them. Any help on this would be appreciated. Is it worth buying if the price is right to part it out,or is getting a title that easy?

Chris

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, by looking at the thread title, I thought you had 74 questions about a 710.

As for the no title thing, it all depends on the state, for how easy it is to get a title. Most states do try to contact the last registered owner, and if that person wants, they can claim it back. So let's say this guy never had the car in his name, and the last guy just decided he wants it back, your SOL and lost your money. Basically you'll need to get the car inspected, the state will run some checks, and if nothing comes back they issue a title.

You can also get a bonded title. The bond is a fee percentage based on the value of the car. It's basically insurance for the title, to cover any fees incurred should the real owner want the car back. Bonding is easier, but costs more money.

In most cases, the no title thing devalues a car to half of what it's worth. I will tell you this though, I've bought 2 cars here in Arizona without titles. One was successful in getting it in my name, the other was just way too complicated. I will never again buy a car without a title, no matter how good of a deal it is. Just not worth the hassle.

First, by looking at the thread title, I thought you had 74 questions about a 710.

In most cases, the no title thing devalues a car to half of what it's worth. I will tell you this though, I've bought 2 cars here in Arizona without titles. One was successful in getting it in my name, the other was just way too complicated. I will never again buy a car without a title, no matter how good of a deal it is. Just not worth the hassle.

Yea what he said. I would just go find another car. Even a car with a title that's been out of the system can be a pain in the ass.

Guest jaimesix
Hey guys,

I just found a 74 710 for sale here in Massachusetts about 4 miles from me. It is on craigslist,and I just spoke with the guy selling it. He sent me a few pics,and it looks really nice,but he says there is no title. He also claimed it has some ridiculuosly low miles on it,and that it is all original. I don't really need anotehr car,but if it is as nice as it looks I may be inclined to buy it. The thing is he has no asking price in the ad,and wants to trade for a tractor or slide-in camper. I have neither,and when I asked about his price he said he would like to get as close to $2000 he can get. I have a hard time justifying that sort of cash for a car with no title. He says If I know someone in NH,or RI then I can "sell" it to them on paper,and get a title for it,but I don't know. I am headed out to look at it some right now. Any place I should look for typical rust? It is an automatic,and I would guess it is a L18,but I really have no idea what engines these cars had in them. Any help on this would be appreciated. Is it worth buying if the price is right to part it out,or is getting a title that easy?

Chris

Hi.

A Datsun 710 with low mileage is a cool catch. The fact it has no registration/tittle coule be complicated, but it might not be so. In any event, the seller should lower his price, unless he wants to get the tittle and sell it to you with tittle and all.

If you get the tittle, he should discount the money you will have to pay to register it and get a tittle.

In California, a car with no tittle can be reigistered aftet the DMV runs a check on its vin number to verify it is not a stolen vehicle. Then the DMV issues notification to the last registered owner. That person either (1) Responds and waves any rights to the car, (2) Responds claiming rights to the car, (3) he/she does not respond , or (4) the DMV is unable to find this last registered owner because said person failed to notify the DMV of his last address.

If it is any of the above except (1), then the DMV will issue tittle at your name. The DMV will charge you the registration value since the last year it was registered ( unless there was a planned "Non Operation" registration for said vehicle.)

That is why I say the seller has to pay for that tittle/registration, or else he has to take that amount of his asking price.

I advise you to get the VIN number from that 710 ( it is located behind the windshield, also check the firewall.) and check the number out with your local DMV or the AAA if you are a member.

That will give you an idea of what is going on with the legal aspect of said vehicle, and you will be in a better position to bargain a price with seller.

Rust areas to check:

1) Lift the carpets and check the floor pan at passenger/driver sections and rear passenger floor pans.

2) Behind the bumpers, specially the rear bumper.

3) Trunk /spare tire area. Take the spare off and check what is in there.

4) At the lowe corners of the rear glass/window. You have to check under the cardboard panel in that area inside the car, you can check it also ( less thoroughly though ) from the trunk, looking up toward that area.

5) Around windshield and rear glass trim.

6) Under battery/battery tray.

7) Inner wheel wells.

8) Rocker panels and front and rear valances/aprons.

Some rust is to be expected, so do not get discouraged if you find some, as long as it is not excesive, rust is repairable. The existence of rust also gives you leverage in bargaining price.

Good luck. Datsun 710s are cool, I have one, strong engines, nice handling and good looks!

Jaime.______________________________________________________

I went to look at the car today. By the time I got there the guy selling it wasn't home anymore,so I could only give it a quick once-over before the neighbors called the cops(not likely in the sticks where the car was). The car looked very solid,but did have a bit of surface rust here,and there,but nothing major. The wheel openings looked rott free remarkably and the floors looked great although I didn't lift the carpets(it was unlocked with the keys on the seat). I didn't look in the trunk,but I did open the hood,and it looked all stock,and in great shape. Remarkably this car looked very well kept considering where it is smack in the rust belt of Massachusetts. The dash board was crack free,and rather nice looking in my opinion. It reminds me of the simple dash in both my 74 REPU,and 78 RX-7 in that it is the odel of simplicity,and quite symetrical. The seats were in great shape,and I only saw one or two seams coming apart,but nothing major. By the way it is a two door coupe,or hardtop whatever you want to call it(no b-pillar between the front,and rear windows).

To some of the others telling me to look for another car I understand your reasoning for that,and I may just move along,but the fact that there is a 74 Datsun for sale around me(you have no idea how rare any 70's j-tin is around here) is a reason why I may consider it even with the title issue. I already have three vintage J-tin cars,and I don't NEED another,but it is rare to find one around here,and the fact that it is 4-5 miles fromme,and I have never seen it is baffling.

Here is a link to pics that the seller sent me,and if I get a chance I will go by to look at it again tomorrow with the seller present. If I could get it for $1000-maybe $1500,and I can figure out the title I will do it,but the title really scares me as here in MA you NEED a title to sell any car. Maybe I can SELL it to a friend in a neighboring state that doesn't title cars that age,and then get one here in MA. It may be a pain in the ass,but it may work.

http://web.mac.com/cdirado/iWeb/Diradosite/78-Datsun-510.html

Chris

Guest jaimesix
I went to look at the car today. By the time I got there the guy selling it wasn't home anymore,so I could only give it a quick once-over before the neighbors called the cops(not likely in the sticks where the car was). The car looked very solid,but did have a bit of surface rust here,and there,but nothing major. The wheel openings looked rott free remarkably and the floors looked great although I didn't lift the carpets(it was unlocked with the keys on the seat). I didn't look in the trunk,but I did open the hood,and it looked all stock,and in great shape. Remarkably this car looked very well kept considering where it is smack in the rust belt of Massachusetts. The dash board was crack free,and rather nice looking in my opinion. It reminds me of the simple dash in both my 74 REPU,and 78 RX-7 in that it is the odel of simplicity,and quite symetrical. The seats were in great shape,and I only saw one or two seams coming apart,but nothing major. By the way it is a two door coupe,or hardtop whatever you want to call it(no b-pillar between the front,and rear windows).

To some of the others telling me to look for another car I understand your reasoning for that,and I may just move along,but the fact that there is a 74 Datsun for sale around me(you have no idea how rare any 70's j-tin is around here) is a reason why I may consider it even with the title issue. I already have three vintage J-tin cars,and I don't NEED another,but it is rare to find one around here,and the fact that it is 4-5 miles fromme,and I have never seen it is baffling.

Here is a link to pics that the seller sent me,and if I get a chance I will go by to look at it again tomorrow with the seller present. If I could get it for $1000-maybe $1500,and I can figure out the title I will do it,but the title really scares me as here in MA you NEED a title to sell any car. Maybe I can SELL it to a friend in a neighboring state that doesn't title cars that age,and then get one here in MA. It may be a pain in the ass,but it may work.

http://web.mac.com/cdirado/iWeb/Diradosite/78-Datsun-510.html

Chris

Chris.

I do not recommend you to overlook this car at all. That is not what I said, if I gave that impression, not at all!!!!

From what you describe this is a fine car, not an opportunity to miss. I would not walk away from this car because of a tittle situation.

That should be easy to fix. Yes, there is a procedure, but that is for safetly reasons, you and nobody would like to have any of our vehicles sold by an unscrupulous low life, so that is the reason why the tittle safety has to be determined.

Take the VIN number, which should be in the firewall or behind the windshield, and take that number to your local DMV or the AAA if you are a member. You might be able to check it out through the DMV for your state over the internet. The DMV will tell you the procedure to follow and the expense it will involve in order to register this vehicle.

If the car is at this person's home, safe, then you have the time to deal with the registration issue, tell the seller how much it will be, and then make a decision based on the tittle/registration expense and the final price the seller will give you.

That is a nice car, and it will be a cool Datsun to own, like you said, not a common datsun to see on roads, and much coveted specially in the east coast where classic cars, specially european and japanese fall appart due to road salts and harsh winter conditions.

Work it out, fight for the priviledge to own a cool Datsun!, never give up!!!

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Is it worth $1500 if I can get a title? I can't see paying the $2000 or near he said he wanted for a car that does need some work. To put it in reference I bought my RX-7 which I will provide links to pics for $2000 from the original owner. He had stacks of paper work,and spare parts along with only needing some fluid changes,and new tires. In the pics make not that the body has had no work,and it is stock paint. Not a bad deal for $2000,eh?

http://web.mac.com/cdirado/iWeb/Diradosite/Mazda-RX-7.html

Chris

Chris, I'm pretty sure that 710 has been for sale at least once before. I recogonise the pictures. (I'd contacted him too! But more to spread the word than actully buy it myself.)

No title can be a big pain in MA. Go to the HAMB and research what some of those folks have gone through. Here is one link, but keep searching and you will find more. I hear it is a bigger pain here than any other state. But I hear those title search companies will work here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323376&highlight=ma+registration

If a 710 were yuor dream datsun, I'd say go for it, but if it is convience, I'd do alot of homework on what is required in Ma. They got us by the balls here.

Just as a for instance, they will tax you on what the current value of the car is. It doesn't matter what shepe it is in. Doesn't matter what you paid for it. There are more that a few guys who have brought 30's Fords in to the state that were rusted out with no drive train and they paid pennies for it, they get it here and get taxed on what a restored one sells for. I kid you not. You can apply for a refund and send pictures of just how crappy your car is, but time and time again these requests have been refused.

Thankfully Datsuns aren't worth much so we don't get hit like the classic american guys do, but it still sucks. I paid $225 for my 521 and had the bill of sale, and still got taxed on like $1800 or something.

Chris, I'm pretty sure that 710 has been for sale at least once before. I recogonise the pictures. (I'd contacted him too! But more to spread the word than actully buy it myself.)

No title can be a big pain in MA. Go to the HAMB and research what some of those folks have gone through. Here is one link, but keep searching and you will find more. I hear it is a bigger pain here than any other state. But I hear those title search companies will work here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323376&highlight=ma+registration

If a 710 were yuor dream datsun, I'd say go for it, but if it is convience, I'd do alot of homework on what is required in Ma. They got us by the balls here.

Just as a for instance, they will tax you on what the current value of the car is. It doesn't matter what shepe it is in. Doesn't matter what you paid for it. There are more that a few guys who have brought 30's Fords in to the state that were rusted out with no drive train and they paid pennies for it, they get it here and get taxed on what a restored one sells for. I kid you not. You can apply for a refund and send pictures of just how crappy your car is, but time and time again these requests have been refused.

Thankfully Datsuns aren't worth much so we don't get hit like the classic american guys do, but it still sucks. I paid $225 for my 521 and had the bill of sale, and still got taxed on like $1800 or something.

You know Fisch the guy mentioned there was someone in MA that said they were going to post it up on the Ratsun forum. It must have been you. How long back did you see it listed? I have more pics,and I got the VIN,so I am going to look at a way to get a title. I don't really NEED the car,but if I can get a good deal,and the title I may buy it. I know all about the book value thing,but so far I have been very lucky with my 78 510 which they valued at $800,my 74 REPU which they had no book value on 7 years ago,and just guessed it was worth $1000. My RX-7 was only valued at around $1500 if I remember right. I am guessing a 74 Datsun 710 isn't worth jack,so that shouldn't be an issue.

My friend who is in to Triumph TR-8(and TR-7's) ran into this just recently in that he wanted to title a TR-7 and the RMV valued it at around $10,000.Wow!!!!

Chris

Edited by Comfort Eagle
  • 2 weeks later...

I emailed that guy also. I'd love to have a 710, and in NH the title isn't a problem. My problem is, I hate automatics.

The photo from the front showed some surface rust on the right front fender, and he didn't send a photo from that side, so I was suspicious. Also, I asked if he was confident that I could drive it home to NH, and he suggested he could trailer it. For $2k I would have expected a good runner, if it was rusty.

Anyway, it's not a stick, so no dice for me. Unless it was $1k...

-Todd

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I ended up buying this car yesterday...he reposted it on craigslist on Friday and said it had to go. I got it for $1000 cash.

Car runs and drives, and the interior is mint. Needs some rust repair, especially the trunk lid. One of the brakes is frozen, so that will be the first project.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance, probably in another thread.

-Todd

Todd,

Nice grab on the 710. Not many of those left in New England (stashed away or otherwise).

I corresponded with the seller last week, asking the purchase price, but he never gave one. Hard to look at his pictures and not expect something totally outrageous. $1K is a deal. Besides after my last purchase there is no more room in the barn to bring another Datsun home. Enjoy!

And because you got such a great deal I couldn't help but post a picture so all could be green with envy. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

0034.JPG

Edited by Dime Dave
Hard to beleive I made it past 8th grade by the way I spell.

Thanks! I'll post updated pics when I get home...it's gotten slightly rustier since then, and he removed the strips down the sides of the car since that photo.

He claims he drives it around, but one of the brakes is frozen, so I don't think he has driven it lately.

I'll also start a project thread, just to make sure it becomes a project and doesn't just rust away in my garage...