starting engine after 10 plus years

heres my plan on trying to fire up this old datsun 620 after a few tips i got here, any more ideas will be greatly appreciated

first i cleaned under the hood so it isnt so filthy, i pulled the plugs and put a little diesel in each cylender let it sit over night, today i added marvel mystery oil and am letting it sit, then im gonna try to turn it a a few revolutions by hand with a breaker bar and socket.

the engine oil looks like new so i will change it after i get the engine warm, all the ignition parts are new, cap, rotor plugs, etc

i am going to run the fuel hose to a gas can for celan fuel, the fuel filter was new but it may be shot after having rancid gas in it.

my only issue is what to do to the carb before trying to start this thing.

i just want to see if it will run before i go spending money on the truck.

and is there anything else i am missing

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Change the oil, there could be a quart of water in the oilpan. $20 for oil and a new filter is worth it for the insurance!

There may be a drain plug on the gas tank when you get to that point. Don't mess with the carb until you know for sure that it is messed up, it should at least get it running in the condition that it is in.

If you are just trying to get it started..then don't mess with the carb yet.

Less to try and guess about and if it ran when parked then it should be fine just to get her going. I would then either rebuild it or put a weber on her. Keep the stock carb for emissions if you are required to pass that in your area. :D

Sounds like you are on the right track with the oil in the cylinders...try and hand crank the motor first like you said. That will let you know when she is ready for more action. start out slow and work your way into it. :lol: Change the oil before you start it up.

oils change sounds good, the oil is at the perfect level, i figure if there was water in it it would be over full, its a super dry climate here, humidity in the summer is usually around 20 to 30%

but i will go buy some el cheapo store brand oil to get it going and then change it again not long after with something better

i need to get the junk fram filter off of it any way.

I want to know if the engine is good before i spend any thing on parts.

Edited by herculesinwyoming
oils change sounds good, the oil is at the perfect level, i figure if there was water in it it would be over full, its a super dry climate here, humidity in the summer is usually around 20 to 30%

but i will go buy some el cheapo store brand oil to get it going and then change it again not long after with something better

i need to get the junk fram filter off of it any way.

I want to know if the engine is good before i spend any thing on parts.

The other nice thing about changing the oil first is that all of the top parts get coated in fresh oil before you start it. :D Any way you could pull the valve cover off and pour a quart over the valve train? That is what I would do.

Edited by Phlebmaster

When you pull the plug to change the oil, if there's any water in there it will be at the bottom and come out first. Unless the hood was up and air filter off it should be fine.

Change the oil/filter and if it will crank over, pull the plugs and jam the throttle wide open with choke off and let her fly for 20-30 seconds with valve cover off. The motor will turn over quite fast and will suck up fresh oil from the pan and push the old out ahead of it. This will pre-lube all the bearings in advance of actual start up. You may do this several times until you see fresh oil dripping from the cam.

If you skip this at least pour a little oil over the length of the cam and cam sprocket.

big thanks, i have to work tonight, so i will be away 2 days,

and then i expect to get after it. i think i may have to video it :D might be fun to hear it wake up from the grave.

its crazy, a week ago i had no idea i would have this project in my hands. :blink:

big thanks, i have to work tonight, so i will be away 2 days,

and then i expect to get after it. i think i may have to video it :D might be fun to hear it wake up from the grave.

its crazy, a week ago i had no idea i would have this project in my hands. :blink:

Hahahaha...now look! your getting sucked into the Datsun Frenzie. :lol: I assure you it will be worth it.

well maybe i neglected to say, my oldest son is 16 and this is actually his truck. he has 3 hours in on it just getting it cleaned off so we could tow it home.

he is gonna get greasy too,

Good on you Dad!! :D

He will learn alot from you on this project. ;)

today i finally got time to spend on the truck.

the engine was real easy to turn over by hand with the plugs removed. the cam turns like it should. so the engine seems to be ok

the plugs show no signs of the engine having any issues, they dont have any deposits on them but they were black like it was running rich.

then the weather went bad on me.

im going to get some tuneup parts and a battery, and then try to start her up. soon...... weather permiting i hope for tomorow