Vlsd???

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Says: The lsd can also be used on many datsun or nissan cars i.e. 510 240z 260z 280z 280zx 300zx with mounting modifications.

I'm no expert but it looks too short for a 510 diff and there should be four mounting bolts at the front.

Also I've seen open diffs that would turn both sides in the same direction when turning the input. You have to hold one side tight and be sure it's turning or not. I just sold an R-180 and it would turn both in the same direction.

I would find out more first. Look at yours and then that one.

VLSD is the worst of the lsd's performance wise but it's also the quietest and most problem free. So if you don't plan on tracking the car it's okay to use one. Hitting the track though I'd go Quaife or maybe G&T. For drifting lsd is a waste, just weld the thing.

It's kind of silly to think any late style lsd is going to bolt up without any modifications at all. Say nothing for the fact they are 2 completely different differentials, one being a short nose r200 and the other a long nose r160. One using two different length cv half shafts and one using 2 equal length universal axles, way different mounts, there is more, you get the idea........

I would read on of the lsd write ups over at hbz, the realm, zcar etc... so you get a better idea of what your dealing with.

Edited by 72240z

I have an R220 VLSD from an Infiniti Q45 in my LS1 powered 240Z. This is Not a bolt in diff by any means. A custom front mount is needed as this diff is a short nose diff. Custom C/V axles too. Modified moustache bar or aftermarket one.

Q45_Rear_Diff_Install_001.jpg

Q45_Rear_Diff_Install_004.jpg

Q45_Rear_Diff_Install_006.jpg

That being said, I have had no performance issues with the VLSD. I do several track days per years and a few autocrosses too. This rear has performed great in all types of use.

idk way people always bash vlsd's, I ran one in my 240sx, an i am going to run one in the 510.. i drifted the piiss out of the 240 and never had a problem with it. i also did some autox with it.. an byt he way I pulled r200 short for a friend this weekend out of a q45 and that thing is huge, i would stick with the r160.