Bubbles in Coolant

imtb

Hello,

I just finshed my first engine swap in the 510 and it went pretty good.

Only thing the newer engine is running hot. Just sitting in the drive way the temp climbs to 200-225 then I drive it climbs to 230. I flushed the 3core raditor and tried getting all the air out of the hoses, took out the theromstat. still no luck, old engine would stay around 165.

While it waw sitting in driveway I took off the cap reved it up and would see bubbles going by in the coolant. Could this be a blown head gasket? Also would a blown head gasket sound like an exhuast leak. when it idles I cant hear the exhaust leek but when i drive it i can.

This sucks it if is a blown headgasket, It would have been easier to replace before I swaped engines.

Any other things I can check for running hot? or to see to tell if its the head gaskets.

Thanks

mike

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if you have air trapped in your heater core. It wouldn't hurt to run the car with the radiator cap off for a little while, just until the temp starts to rise, then run the heater full blast with the windows down , just to see if the temp drops. If yes, problem isolated. If not, sounds like head gasket.

Retorqe the head gasket now. Maybe that will stop it. Follow the factory service manual: 1. use right pattern. 2. use specified numbers of steps in tightening 3. use a different torque wrench to compare. Maybe your T-wrench is worse out of spec than it should be

Ok, I did all the sugs, first I dropped a valve cover bolt down into the timing chain(da stupid) didnt have magnetic pu so I ran down to autoparts store and picked one up, came home and checked the torque on head bolts all right on 61#'s maybe one was a little off. 2nd watched air bubbles for 10 minutes or so and temp go up slower to 200 plus. Next wife said have dinner ready I am on my way home. Made and had dinner(shrimp orzo) and then did a compression test next, all 4 cyl hit 180 3&4 was about slightly lower 175. That seemed decent. Next I decide to take off the temp sensor housing from my orginal engine so it would be matched to the orginal gage. The sensor off the newer engine really stuck out into the housing and that housing sits right on top of the header. I put all that back together and moved the heater lever to on and filled it up through the thermo stat housing when that reached full I jacked the front of the car up as high ass my jackass would go, I did see a few air bubbles pop out. Next I took the 180 thermo stat and cut the nipple thinge off and stuck it in.

Fired her right up and is running cool seems to low right now but I couldnt really get on it I changed chokes in the carb to smaller ones to see if the cam would come on sooner, With the bigger chokes it starts pulling around 4000rpms, I would rather have more torque down low for around town. I think with the smaller chokes it made everything else to rich. And was causing a major bog and I couldnt even feather in it. No chance to test drive after I changed the jets.

Sloved one problem and onto the next.