New to ratsun with a 411 that needs a special touch.

I posted my ideas on another thread and was told i should create my own THREAD. So here it is and thanks for the ideas i have gotten so far... I will post the pictures soon...

First off I know everyone wants to see pictures so once i get it out of the shop I will take some and post them.

I recently bought a RL411 SSS Wagon for 900.00 in Boise and I want to do some work to it... It needed a new Brake Master Cylinder, rear wheel cylinders and the carbs needed to be synced... I am not one to keep a car stock for the most part because i like to turn heads and i saw potental with this car. I dont plan on going extreme with this like i did with my Lexus IS300 because i bought this to be a summer driver (cheaper on gas then a lifted 01' Superduty with 37" tires.) but the more i see peoples ideas come to life on here and seeing that awesome picture FISCH drew I am creating some of my own. I am thinking of flat black over my already red paint then 1000 grit sanding it so the red comes out around the contours, i do like the side exhaust on his drawing so i might use that but i do want to lower it a little. Tint out the windows as well as convert them to electric, possibly do a rag top, do, not redo the interior, clean up the engine and engine bay, finally blacked out wheels with red accent. maybe some low profiles with redlined side walls. I am curious and this is where the questions come in

1. Is there a way to convert my rear drums into disc?

2. Can i use any VW part on this car? I also have a 66 project bug i am chopping and i noticed that both cars have pretty simple parts.

3. can i mount a 5 speed tranny to the existing r16 motor and will i need to upgrade anything on the motor? I tac out driving to work because i have to go 65-70 for about 12 miles and i know thats not good.

4. what kind of upgrades can i do to get more HP out of my car?

5. Who makes a good set of lowering parts for this car?

Any info or ideas for this car would be appriciated and i hope i am not pissing anyone off w/ the mods i am doing. Anyone can restore a car but to customize it shows someones personality, creativity and imagination.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roadster comp springs are what you could use to lower the front, the only 5 speed option is the roadster gearbox, you need the 5 speed spacer to fit it to the r16 and as far as hp goes, how much money do you have? you can get roller rockers, stroke it with a u20 crankshaft, add mikuni sidedraft carbs , electronic dizzy etc... you might want to find out the diff ratio, maybe an automatic diff (is it auto or stick?) might work better (i don't know the ratios, Pete?) Go on to 311s.org heaps of r16 stuff there. Can't wait for pics:)

I'll repost my answers:

1. Is there a way to convert my rear drums into disc?

Nothing documented' date=' but probably 200zx like 510's and roadsters have done. No one I know of has ever felt it necessary.

2. Can i use any VW part on this car? I also have a 66 project bug i am chopping and i noticed that both cars have pretty simple parts.

None that I am aware of.

3. can i mount a 5 speed tranny to the existing r16 motor and will i need to upgrade anything on the motor? I tac out driving to work because i have to go 65-70 for about 12 miles and i know thats not good.

The only 5-speed that will bolt to the R16 comes from the 2000 roadsters. Pretty straight forward swap. Details on 311s.org site.

Define "tach out." You might just need to swap out the differential. Service manual shows stock ratio is 4.11 or 4.375. I've heard that a 3.9 was an option (with the automatic trans?), but not confirmed. A 3.9 or 3.7 from a roadster should fit, but I don't know for sure.

4. what kind of upgrades can i do to get more HP out of my car?

Swap the engine - and your choices are limited due to the small engine compartment without seriously butchering the vehicle. You can build a stroker like Rory mentioned, but, seriously, few folks mod R16 motors.

5. Who makes a good set of lowering parts for this car?

No one. You're on your own.

There are two folks on the EarlyDatsunClub Yahoo Group who have some parts, some eBay people with some parts, but there are no vendors like for 510's, roadsters, or Z's.

Not trying to be a smartass on my answers; just trying to be realistic. I figure less than ten thousand 410/411's were imported into the US from '64-'67. I'd be surprised if a thousand still existed.

Cheers.

Edited by ppeters914
Well, you could run Bosch plugs and wires, but why bother?

Especially when there's probably a nice set of NGK iridiums and NGK wires with your name on it! Although I'm running Belden wires, and probably the stock 411 motor wouldn't run well with iridiums, being lower heat range. Probably some stock v powers would be fine though.

• 1 month later...