speedo question

so ive had the 5 speed in the truck for about 2 weeks and and its been working great, but i want my speedo to be right again.

now i understand that the speedo drive will come out of the trans. but can i put the speedo drive from the auto into the 1980 5spd? or do i have to take the whole tail case off the transmissions to swap out the ring gear too?

any help would be great!

thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beware a tranny made from about '80 and up, the earlier speedo drives won't fit it. (the speedo drive is the plug with the plastic gear on the end that bolts into the tailstock) Take a look at the 10mm bolt that holds the keeper in the slot in the side of the speedo drive. If it is at 12 o'clock then it is an early tranny and will fit only trannys made until '80. If the bolt is at the bottom 6 o'clock position, it is a newer box and will only take the newer speedo drives.

FS5W71B, F4W71B and 3N71B automatic drives are interchangeable.

Edited by datzenmike

mkay.

well the automatic is the original for the truck. its a 12/76 truck so its a 77 model year.

the 5 speed is from a 1980 2wd 720 that had an l20b. i dont know the build date but i know it was an 80.

so would those transmissions have interchangeable speedo drives?

• 2 weeks later...

Not supposed to. Late '79 and up were installed with the key way facing down. Pre '80s had the key way facing up. If you swap them, one won't engage the drive teeth and the other will be squashed.

Here's a picture of the difference:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transcogs.jpg[/img]"]transcogs.jpg