i have a A87 head!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mike, u know whats odd, my friend had a 620 like mine, everything the same except he had a little larger exhaust and a u67 head.. mine has the a87 head.. my trucks faster.. he's said it him self.. whats up with that

u think the a87 would take kindly to some porting an shit? mmmhmmm? you got a purdy mouth :fu: :lol:

mike, u know whats odd, my friend had a 620 like mine, everything the same except he had a little larger exhaust and a u67 head.. mine has the a87 head.. my trucks faster.. he's said it him self.. whats up with that

u think the a87 would take kindly to some porting an shit? mmmhmmm? you got a purdy mouth :fu: :lol:

Yours might have a little more low end from the small intake ports and smaller exhaust,different years had different gear ratios and all around wear can have an affect on performance.

I ported the open chamber a87 in my 521 and am working on a closed one with z valves. The open one flows awesome but a little low on the compression on the L16. Would work great on a L20b.

2005_0518Image0119.jpg

2005_0518Image0120.jpg

Sure. Port match to the larger L20B intake. Remove valves and smooth the transition from the embedded valve seat to the port walls. L series intake ports are exceptionally good to begin with so just smooth and casting flash or seams you find. Exhausts aren't as good so lots of room for grinding and polishing. All things equal you'll get more from work on an intake port than an exhaust. Also lay the h/g on the head and scribe a light line around the cylinder openings. Then you can remove some shrouding around the intake valve inside the combustion chamber too.

Also have you thought about head grooving??

aj377023.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

http://somender-singh.com/

If you read this google all the info you can and read it. Some wild claims are made and very little factual testing except someones 'ass dyno' and unproven personal experiences with home made grooves. I think it has some small merit but way too much hype. Hardly any body has verifiable results including a 'before' test as a baseline for comparison. It's always an after when it runs better.

There are some tests on a dodge 360 motor on a dyno I found. So you have to dig and throw out all the testimonials that don't have solid facts (which is almost all of them) I think that most heads with a quench area, generally benefit from grooves by increasing fuel turbulence in the combustion chamber. Outrageous claims of 20% power and mileage increases are very suspect. Expect smoother idling, reduced knock, possibly more advance on poor octane gas and very moderate power and mileage increases. Very moderate like 1 or 2 MPG.

I wouldn't pull a head off to try this, but if it was already off I would. As I said I think it has some merit but if you try this, read all you can about it.