Technical Assistance, shifting Engine.

I own a 75 B210. A15 Motor with Thunderbird Headers. The outer most header pipe is right against the Steering Gear Box.

Will it hurt anything if I shift the motor a quarter inch towards the passenger side, in for the Header to clear the steering gear box?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not dimple the header to make it fit? In the V8 world, this has to be one of the most common things done with headers. Some just don't fit all that great, and evidently, this is true for Datsun too. I'm not real sure about moving the engine, so I can't answer your question. Still, I'd take the hammer or something to the header and make it fit.

Not Datsun specific here, but you get the idea....

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/4568/photo_06.html

Edited by Buzzbomb

I would alter the header LONG before I tried to alter how the entire motor and in turn drive line sits.

I 2nd the previous advice, dimple or oval it to gain that small amount of clearance.

Unfortunately No, I cannot cut and weld. I can drill though:D

I was looking at the setup again this weekend, dimpling would probably work real well. the Header comes down right against the Steering Gear Box, and meets just below the top. A 1/8 inch flat spot would probably work just fine.

I was just thinking I did not want to have a variance in back pressure amongst the cylinders, but these headers are not tuned to the motor so I doubt a dimple would make all that much of a difference.

Guess I will dredge out the Sledge Hammer, or ask the Exhaust Shop to flatten it a bit when I get it over there.

On the bright side, after a year of reassembly, ITS RUNNING!!:thumbsup:

Now I have to get the exhaust, take it back to the body shop for a redo. Guy who did it was fairly certain I would ding things up during a ground up rebuild.

He was right....dammit.

p.s. Thanks for help on this one.