300zx Trans

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think you might be able to. The Z31 came with three different manual 5 speed transmissions. All manual non-turbos used a 5 speed Nissan transmission (FS5W71C) which is quite reliable. The 84-86 manual turbos used a Borg-Warner T-5 5 speed (FS5R90A) which is not very reliable. The 87-89 manual turbos are internally, the same as the nissan transmission found in z32 turbos, trucks, pathfinders, etc (FS5R30A) It is the ultimate in tough.

The FS5W71C from a Z-31 is internally the same as that from a 240sx and will easily fit the front half of the case from an '84-'86.5 Z24 tranny. (earlier Z22/Z24 trannys will need some mods. the same mods should allow even an L 'bell' to fit) This is a tough tranny, and those with turbos that blew up their newer T-5s, have replaced them with the FS5W71C and found it will easily handle the turbo... and more.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transFS5W71Cnonturbo84-88Z31-1.jpg[/img]"]transFS5W71Cnonturbo84-88Z31-1.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

The Borg warner T-5 was only available in 82'-83', and never available in the 300ZX. I now have one in my 81' Turbo.

The BW T-5 was only available for those 2 years. It also looks *VERY* different than the Nissan boxes. The 300ZX unit looks like the one in the pic, and looks the same as all other Nissan manual transmissions. The T-5 is a big square box looking thing, with a normal American style detachable bellhousing. The discrepencies come with the fact that Nissan copied the shifter mounting plate, so from inside the car the 300ZX manual "looks" like a T-5.

I'm guessing it's the same but with a VG bell. I don't think it can stand up to VG power. The '82-'83 is called a T-5 but '84-'86 isn't, instead it's listed as the FS5R90A. The FS5W71C came out around '86.5 because of the VG and near future KA motors that were coming along. The T-5 was 'adequate' for the L28 and it's best feature was that it was cheap and easy to re-build. Putting the L bell on front of an FS5W71C was a much better solution.

Edited by datzenmike