Heater Core Help

ok so i searched and only came up ith bits and pieces. so the core has been busted since i got my 77 b210.{the hoses look good now that i got in there finally} i have a new core i bought recently. i have been freezing all winter, deliving pizza's etc etc. so i stated by pulling the front cover to the heater box, and then the control unit. i can see the core is in the heater box. is there a way just to slide it out the side? or does the hole box have to come out? both pipes come out the right side but dont know what to do. i have a tendency to make things worse, so i wanted to ask. thanks alot

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its far easier to pull out the entire Unit as a Single Piece. That way you can take it apart, replace the 30 year old insulation, clean any crap out and get it all put together right.

The Entire unit is held in by a bolt going through a Bracket at the top of the Dash, and 2 screws, one on either side that screw into brackets on the Firewall.

Another reason to pull the whole unit out is because the rubber inlet hose coming from the Drivers side, connects into a Metal Connecting tube on the Back side, which goes into another rubber hose that then comes around behind the Heater Unit and U turns into the front of the Heater Core.

That Metal Joiner Tube has a tendency to be rusted out. I replaced mine with Copper Tubing to avoid the rust problem.

thanks man, it was the top bracket i wasnt getting, it seemed like i couldn't pull the whole unit, becuase it was too tall, like i needed to pull the dash out. but i didnt find that top bracket. i kinda forgot abou this since it is warming up. but i did need defrost the other night pretty bad.

Its far easier to pull out the entire Unit as a Single Piece. That way you can take it apart, replace the 30 year old insulation, clean any crap out and get it all put together right.

The Entire unit is held in by a bolt going through a Bracket at the top of the Dash, and 2 screws, one on either side that screw into brackets on the Firewall.

Another reason to pull the whole unit out is because the rubber inlet hose coming from the Drivers side, connects into a Metal Connecting tube on the Back side, which goes into another rubber hose that then comes around behind the Heater Unit and U turns into the front of the Heater Core.

That Metal Joiner Tube has a tendency to be rusted out. I replaced mine with Copper Tubing to avoid the rust problem.

i second this motion.

• 3 years later...