Help! Running lights

izzo

went to take off earlier, and the running lights quit working.

Head lights work fine, but when i turn on the switch none of the running lights come on. Of course i checked the fuse, but its good. I did notice my stereo kicked off for a second when I turned them on, but the stereo is still working fine and hte lights are not.

anyone know a cause for this, but more important, does anyone know what wires at the fuse panel are for the running lights? I am just going to bypass the switch and run it to a toggle.

1980 720

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn '80s truck, wiring is different from all other year 720s. The 10 amp fuse is the second one from the end, closest to the door. I'm going by the position of other year diagrams. It may be reversed and is the second from the far end but it is a 10 amp. Do not waste your time checking them, throw away and replace with new, they can't be trusted and are cheap.

If this isn't it, check and spray the light switch lever.

Do not install a toggle switch. This is a red neck tech. fix, and more bother and potential bother than to fix the real problem. You can do this.

Mike, thanks buddy!

I checked the fuse, and replaced it. Still nothing, its the second from the end firewall side according to fuse cover.

I dont know what it could be, they worked yesterday. However, i did install that stereo today. What i did was run a solid lead from the battery to the stereo for the memory, then I ran a wire to the original harness for it to turn on/off with the key. Finally, I used the old ground wire from original harness. Kicked the stereo on, was jamming out. Fired up the truck and seen how much draw it took. When i kicked the lights on my stereo kicked off for just a second and back on. Thats when the running lights quit working.

Not sure if i will have time tomorrow to tinker with it, i have to go check on that king cab tomorrow, and haul it to rainier which is about an hour each way.

so tomorrow is going to be pretty well shot to shit, then ill have to head to work monday and really wont have any time/daylight to mess with it.

You think maybe i got the wrong wire for the ground? i know for sure i have hte irght positive as i used a test light on all the original radio wires to see which lit up when key was on.

I may have hooked up the ground to the wrong one such as the dimmer switch or something??

I have the 720 book but it doesnt cover shit for wiring. Can you tell me what wires were what for the original harness? If i remember right there were only 6-8 wires.

PS, if i let it sit for a while i think when i turn my running/parking lights on i can hear a click in the steering column, not sure if its the spring junk in there or something tripping

Edited by h2theizzo

Also mike

I went out earlier and sprayed it again, thinking that might be it.

I drove a few blocks to the store to meet up with someone about hte 78 king cab. blinkers worked on the way, they dont now.

Maybe the spray is whats shorting it out. will wait till tomorrow to test again.

Not sure what the deal is, kind of lost. Not sure why it worked last night and now all of a sudden nothing and getting worse. dont have the funds to get a whole nother unit (turn/lights/wiper unit)

To fix turn signals:

Turn the turn signal on.

Move the 4 way emergency flasher switch on top of the steering column just slightly toward the ON position. The turn signal should start working when you get it in the right position.

How did you get the running lights working?

I will test that out, thanks again mike!

As for the running lights, the radio was popping the fuses (guess i had the worng wire for the ground...)

It popped them at an angel you cant see from just pulling the fuse out and looking at it.

had to look at where the contacts were up inside to see the little break.

will test out your method with the turn signals, strange tho i didnt touch the switch last night on the way home from the store.

I took pictures of a KC today, ill post it in the general cuz im not sure if i should trade or not for it