ka24e swapped in... but wont run right

NorCalDime

So i got my ka24e in and all wired up. I go to crank on it and it fires up but wont idle, I have to give it some gas and it idles at a little over 1k but is really rough. It is shooting black smoke out the exhaust when revved, and sounds like it has some major valvetrain noise or something from the valve cover.

So when i got the motor it was from a buddy and he said it needed to be timed. So i had to pull the cover and reattach the sprockets and got it all back together. So i come to find out that the motor ran before, then was driven but the sprocket on the cam and the tensioner were not tightened so it basically skipped teeth and fell off. So i am thinking that whole ordeal may have bent some valves?

Are those symptoms of bent valves or could it be something else? Im kinda at a loss here, got new plugs, wires, rotor, cap and the wiring is all right, i just cant get it to smooth out. It seems like it is missing really bad.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude! That sucks!! I had the same thing happen to me with my 85 200sx. The timing belt broke and I heard a row of valves go tink, then I had no compression on 3 of the cylinders.

It was bent valves....

Is there a strong gas smell in the exhaust? Do a compression check too. :D

Sounds like the timing chain is the problem. Being since it was the problem before. Did you change the timing chain an all the components involved?. These single cam engines have a week single row timing chain, and are notorious for having streched chains, and broken guides. Making them run crappy. Also did you align the distributor drive correctly?. Camyou hook a timing gun to give you a rough estimate on ignition timing?.

Ohh on beneo my freind. Those single slammer ka,s also have a hydrualic like rocker arms I've heard dudes bitching about before. Might wanna look into that I dunno if that is a zero clearence motor or not. So the valves may be alright. A compression test will tell. I hope my ka is alright its gonna get fired up very soon!