KA head, Napz Z head for Z L6

agentalpha

Aren't you the one proposing cutting up 3 good heads to make 1 head that might work in theory? That isn't ruining parts?:confused:

:lol::lol::lol:

both have good and bad points but taking into account; overall cost, cost efficiency, practicality, reliability and performance,

P90 trumps the franken-KA.

do it if you want, no ones stopping you.

its been done, and its "cool" but not practical in any sense.

but its more of a spendy novelty IMO

Edited by Skib
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right, Skib.

And my logic may be flawed.

My reasons are simply:

1) In yards, how many KA's, and how many P90's(or any L6 heads)? MILLIONS of KA's floating around.

Probably a few thousand untouched L6 heads left.

2)Which one will breath and flow better?

It's that dang simple.

Might be a lofty goal, but one I am very anxious to explore.

But we can continue to question, warp and distort the validity of the experiment 'till the cows come home.

I posted this thread looking for VALID technicalities for consideration.

NOT someone trying way too hard to beat me over the head why it shouldn't be done.

If anyone cares to note all of the exchange, they will easily see why I lost my cool. Rather obvious.

Regurgitation of technicalities don't make you smart, or a contributing conversationalist.

And I don't like being misquoted, or my words distorted, warped, or ignored.

Especially over and over and over, for someone else's online ego masturbation.

Rude, manipulative, and selfish.

Banane16.gif

Edited by agentalpha

Probably a few thousand L6 heads left.

hahaha please back up claims with fact there, there are plenty of L6 heads left most of use have at least 2 or 3 layin around, and some of us have piles of that shit stored away.

Technicalities don't make you smart, or a contributing conversationalist.

i layed it out pretty simple. its cool, i think that KA head/l28TT is badass, so go for it, no ones stopping you.

but in the P90 vs franken-KA, over all the P90 is going to crank out plenty of power for a tiny fraction of the cost of a franken-KA. so you get a little more flow from the KA, fine, your spending a shit ton more for that little gain.

its just not practical plain and simple

say you do get more flow and a more power, your going to spend BIG TIME for it and there numbers your only going to see on paper,

not notice in the driver seat.

Edited by Skib
hahaha please back up claims with fact there, there are plenty of L6 heads left most of use have at least 2 or 3 layin around, and some of us have piles of that shit stored away.

i layed it out pretty simple. its cool, i think that KA head/l28TT is badass, so go for it, no ones stopping you.

but in the P90 vs franken-KA, over all the P90 is going to crank out plenty of power for a tiny fraction of the cost of a franken-KA. so you get a little more flow from the KA, fine, your spending a shit ton more for that little gain.

its just not practical plain and simple

say you do get more flow and a more power, your going to spend BIG TIME for it and there numbers your only going to see on paper,

not notice in the driver seat.

Ok, Ok. Probably a few 100 thou left. lol

I DID say "UNTOUCHED".

Very true, Bro.

Is experimentation in uncharted waters EVER cheap, OR easy?

Even cheaper, I OWN a few N42's.

:lol:

I'll just let this die, and won't mention it again 'till ti's done.

Edited by agentalpha

Is experimentation in uncharted waters EVER cheap, OR easy?

It never is, but in the over all P90 vs franken-KA the P90 is the logical choice taking in all the pos. and neg. factors into account of both. the franken-KA deff wins in badass-ness tho lol. ill never say its not cool, its just impractical; especially being compared to a P90

I'll just let this die, and won't mention it again 'till ti's done.

if you do take on this one keep an updated build thread for it, its in an interesting experiment and a "cool" factor,

non of the heat was about that it was about the vs. P90 bit.

but i think everyone can agree that the franken-KA is very cool, just impractical in work hours and cost in comparison to using a built P90

lol now all yall take 5 an cool off

Edited by Skib

Ok, dumb fuck, GET IT NOW?

And, you REALLY need to fucking pay attention, asshole.

I'm tired of repeating myself 'cause you pull shit I didn't say,

or that is nowhere near fact, outta your ass.

Har har.

Fuck Off.

OUCH! Actually hurts just reading that... I

• 1 month later...

Wow I had to go back and see when I joined you guys! I missed this stuff:(

GENTITAL FELLIA ? (could have the name wrong) was a real smart butt:D

Nice read, wish I had been there ........ Darn Shoot ..... :fu:

You guys are soooooo cooool :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Regurgitation of technicalities don't make you smart, or a contributing conversationalist.

And I don't like being misquoted, or my words distorted, warped, or ignored.

Especially over and over and over, for someone else's online ego masturbation.

Rude, manipulative, and selfish.

Say no more, say no more.

• 6 years later...

Hi all,

Great read this, I have a quick question. 

Currently I'm building a new engine for my fury replica as the old z18et needs a re fresh.

Do all the Z series cylinder heads z16, z18, z18et, z20s, z20e, z22s, z22e, z24,z24e suffer from the sharp bend flow restrictions and design ? If so is one head better than the other in later models ?

sorry if I sound like a twat, just trying to find out what head is best for my next project (wanting to keep it original as possible).

Cheers

•  

I can only speak for the Z20E that we got in N America and the Z22 and Z24 in the 720 trucks. The Z20 and Z22 were the same with round intake ports. The Z24 had squarish intake ports with rounded corners. All three Z20E/Z22 and Z24 had a 57cc combustion chamber.

There is a special Z20 head used on the 720. It was called a 'Mileage Option' truck and the combustion chamber is around 45cc. Used with Z20E flattop pistons this truck had a 9 to one compression.

As far as I know the Z head ports were all the same coming in very low from the side and bending sharply at the valve. Take a look at the L head and you can see the intake ports are well above the exhaust ports. Nice high entry and long reasonably straight runner slight bend at the valve.

Oh yeah, agentalpha..... he was wound a little tight wasn't he?

Thanks for the Info King Rat,

The head I will be using will be turbo charged, after some reading all NAPS heads seem to suffer from the above sharp bend at the valve.

I have found a head that is not too common to most people and could possibly be used. The NA20 engine: http://datsun1200.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=24273&com_id=71131&com_rootid=71128&

Here is some information i found regarding the NA20:

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30642&sid=b0ae2fd8a17625644f6c48e688c2f631

Megajolt jnr distributorless ignition cheap as chips, gone the days of pricey electromotive!
http://www.autosportlabs.com/megajolte-p-41.html

Head prefer lower height NA20 - using cheap U67 to line it all up at first.
(NA20 is like a kidney shaped Z series head takes Z18et turbo manis)
http://datsun1200.com/uploads/photos/24258.jpg
roller rocker top to reduce friction unlike earlier Z heads
http://datsun1200.com/uploads/photos/24251.jpg
might be in luck with the Na20 head as it looks like bore spacing is better
between 2 and 3 cylinders by looking at the gasket maybe 1.5mm only
http://sell.lulusoso.com/upload/2012033 ... ngines.jpg
part no: 11044 - http://old.japancars.ru/cat/nissan/seci ... 409&s=0.75
stock pistons http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/55353 ... 85G00.html

I'm looking at possibly using the NA20 head on a z24 (or any other) bottom end with a Z series rocker cover. 

From what i get from it is its good for NA applications but maybe not for turbo applications due to the chamber design, I believe you would want an open chamber head to get the flow right. My question is if the combustion chamber was opened up CNC'd could this be used for turbo application and cure some of the faults of the naps Z heads (Running bigger valves / cam etc). Worst case scenario, the roller rockers could possibly be used in the Z head.

Cheers

A turbo will 'cure' some of the breathing problems because the engine won't have to work to suck air in past the rather sharp bend at the valves. The intake air will be under pressure and pushed in rather than sucked in. It's not perfect but will be better. The NA head I've seen before. It's nice, but still has the bend at the valves I think. Roller cams can have a sharper ramp to open the valves quicker and close later and faster.