620 vs. 720 driveline length?

mike

Does anybody know off hand if the one piece drive shafts are the same length from a 720 standard cab as the two piece with a carrier bearing on a 620 standard cab? Also are they a bolt in on the pinion flange?

I checked a few in a yard today and they were all 1 piece on the 720s but I didnt have a tape measure to check the length with and there were no 620s to try and mix and match. Im thinking that they are the same but figured Id ask first...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not sure about the 720 drive shaft. however, if you're looking to go to a one piece drive shaft and get away from the carrier bearing, the one that i used on my '74 std cab was out of my dads '71 510 wagon. it was a direct bolt in and i had no problems with it.

Yeah, Ive heard that about the goon DLs. I havent seen anybody parting a wagon though. I was hoping that somebody knew for sure if the 720 shaft would or wouldnt fit. Its 15 bucks out of a wrecking yard so if it fits its a good deal and I dont have to worry about the carrier bearing anymore. Im needing it to swap the short tail 4 spd out for an 83 ZX 5 speed in my brothers 73 620. Its starting to grind going into every gear...

Grinding sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging when the pedal is down. Now a 5spd is a great idea, but if the clutch is bad, the problem will still be there with the new tranny.

With engine running in neutral with clutch out... push clutch down and try to put in reverse slowly. Do the gears grind?

2wd reg bed manual tranny 2S63H single driveshaft u joint to u joint length is 49.61" or 1,260mm

Called my brother to ask him exact symptoms, he said that it grinds every time when shifting into reverse, and it is very hard to put in the other gears and occasionally grinds when shifting but he thinks it is mostly because of the slop in the shifter. I dont remember it grinding in reverse when we first got it. Im going to try to bleed the slave cyl before pulling it and see if that helps... If not I hope it works when we put it back together. He doesnt have any money and Im not paying for a new clutch for him.

datzenmike: 2wd reg bed manual tranny 2S63H single driveshaft u joint to u joint length is 49.61" or 1,260mm

Is this the length for the 620, 720 or both?

Also, just out of curiosity do you have access to the Datsun equivalent of the Library of Alexandria or a photographic memory or something?