Looking for Aligment shop *******

72nismo

Can anybody recommend an alignment shop that knows how to align a 510 with a rear slotted crossmember?? I am located in the Los Angeles area. Have asked a few alignment shops but they always seem like they don't know what I am talking about or they say they don't have the program / specs on a 72 510.

Any help will be appreciated . :mrgreen:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't confuse them before you take it in. Don't overthink an alignment. Just take your car in and let them do it. Any mechanic with 2 brain cells should be able to figure it out.

Mechanics don't pull out a book with specifications and start measuring things. They usually attach laser pickups to your wheels and the computer shows an exaggerated view of how out of alignment your car is. The mechanic will then adjust your car as much as it can be adjusted so the wheels are straight.

If you have dropped your car lower than the factory parts can adjust the mechanic will make it as close as possible with the parts at hand.

If you call ahead of time and make it sound really complected they are liable to just charge you more because you think it's more complex than it is.

My mechanic is a seasoned autocrosser and can give me a more aggressive alignment if I ask for it. It's not any more difficult.

What he has is a car that adjustments that weren't there from the factory. I doubt your typical "Tire Mart" alignment guy will give you what you are after. In the last few major cities I have been in I have found a good alignment shop on referral from the local speed shop. That's my suggestion.

a good place to start

by Dean Sherman

The following alignment specs are the ones that we used on our car for the 'Lap, about 6,000 highway miles and about 4 hours of track time. The original alignment was done by Custom Alignment in Mountain View, CA.

This alignment took about 4 hours with 2 men doing the adjustments, with about 200 lbs of weight in the drivers seat. The car was test driven during this time about 6 or 8 times to get the right alignment when the car settled down after being driven.

We were very pleased with the performance both on the track and for the highway driving. The cost for this alignment was $155, but with the specs from the alignment, the follow-up alignments are standard 4 wheel jobs for $75.

Left Front

Camber -1.00 Caster +1.80 Toe +0.04"

Right Front

Camber -1.00 Caster +2.30 Toe +0.04"

Front Totals

Total Toe +0.08"

Cross Camber 0.00

Cross Caster +0.50

Front setback -0.10

Left side

S.A.I. +9.50

Included Angle +8.50

Thrust Angle +0.01"

Right side

S.A.I. +9.80

Included Angle +8.70

Rear setback -0.30

Left Rear

Camber -0.40

Toe +0.03"

Right Rear

Camber -0.40

Toe +0.02"

Rear totals

Total Toe +0.05"

Cross Camber 0.00

All figures are in degrees except where inches (") are indicated. I don't know what all of the specs mean, but I'm sure an alignment shop will be able to interpret them.