motor swap

low4life

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '88 is a Z24i with a crank angle sensor on it so you will need a Z24 spindle and distributor plus the carb and intake and two coils. If you have all the parts I would keep the much better EFI on that motor... better starting and driving with it than a choke carb.

BTW good motor choice. Find a '79 standard 620 or '81-'82 720 for the 4.11 rear end for your 521. Better mileage and the monster Z24 can easily handle it.

Edited by datzenmike
The '88 is a Z24i with a crank angle sensor on it so you will need a Z24 spindle and distributor plus the carb and intake and two coils. If you have all the parts I would keep the much better EFI on that motor... better starting and driving with it than a choke carb.

BTW good motor choice. Find a '79 standard 620 or '81-'82 720 for the 4.11 rear end for your 521. Better mileage and the monster Z24 can easily handle it.

so r u saying i should chang the rear end?????? and the motor i am talking an

about has everything other then the computer shit

yah, in your case i would say ditch the fuel injection, too many little parts to get. get a carb adapter put a weber on it and call it a day. if it already has a crank angle sensor, consider using megajolt for your ignition.

If you plan to use an 88 Z24i without all the 'computer shit' you will need a Z24 carb and intake. The Z24i EFI intake is much different and possibly someone makes a carb adapter, but that is extremely unlikely. D-21 owners throw their EFI away and use Z24 intakes with a Weberand adaptor... I think they know what they are doing.

The '88 Z24i also uses a crank angle sensor distributor... which will be no use to you without the 'computer shit'. Best, simplest, easiest, cheapest thing to do is to get a Z24 distributor for your motor. Fits right in with no mods and even the plug is the same.

The '88 Z24i also uses different coils in conjunction with the CAS and ECU. I don't know if they will work with the Z24's EI distributor so pe prepared to swap those too. They might work... i just don't know.

You will need an electric fuel pump as neither the Z24i or the Z24 had a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the motor. Again, any electric pump from a 720 will do or buy an inline and mount as close to the fuel tank as you can. Make sure that it is rated around 3 PSI output pressure. Do not use a 65 PSI EFI pump!

You should be able to find all the parts you need form one scrapped 720. The Z24 motor was used on '83-'86.5 trucks. If you are unsure what motor in in it look on the inner passenger side fender below the hood hinge. There is a small metal plate there that will say Z24(S) 2389 cc. Get the electric fuel pump, intake and carb, distributor and coils (2).

NOTE: If the 720 you find has an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold, DO NOT use the carb. It's an electronic feed back carband requires 'computer shit' to make it work.

If you plan to use an 88 Z24i without all the 'computer shit' you will need a Z24 carb and intake. The Z24i EFI intake is much different and possibly someone makes a carb adapter, but that is extremely unlikely. D-21 owners throw their EFI away and use Z24 intakes with a Weberand adaptor... I think they know what they are doing.

The '88 Z24i also uses a crank angle sensor distributor... which will be no use to you without the 'computer shit'. Best, simplest, easiest, cheapest thing to do is to get a Z24 distributor for your motor. Fits right in with no mods and even the plug is the same.

The '88 Z24i also uses different coils in conjunction with the CAS and ECU. I don't know if they will work with the Z24's EI distributor so pe prepared to swap those too. They might work... i just don't know.

You will need an electric fuel pump as neither the Z24i or the Z24 had a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the motor. Again, any electric pump from a 720 will do or buy an inline and mount as close to the fuel tank as you can. Make sure that it is rated around 3 PSI output pressure. Do not use a 65 PSI EFI pump!

You should be able to find all the parts you need form one scrapped 720. The Z24 motor was used on '83-'86.5 trucks. If you are unsure what motor in in it look on the inner passenger side fender below the hood hinge. There is a small metal plate there that will say Z24(S) 2389 cc. Get the electric fuel pump, intake and carb, distributor and coils (2).

NOTE: If the 720 you find has an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold, DO NOT use the carb. It's an electronic feed back carband requires 'computer shit' to make it work.

wow thats a lot of shit lol i did not c what people r talking about this crank sensor where is it and do i need it???? so i do no 4 sure the motor is out of a 88 cuz it was my motor and i am going to get it on saturday so a full shoping list would help lol. o ya and we r going to rebuild the motor

wow thats a lot of shit lol i did not c what people r talking about this crank sensor where is it and do i need it???? so i do no 4 sure the motor is out of a 88 cuz it was my motor and i am going to get it on saturday so a full shoping list would help lol. o ya and we r going to rebuild the motor

I think he gave you pretty much a full shopping list to get it running.

Forgive me for not knowing much about z24s guys, but this is a direct bolt in and will fit in a 521? (motor mounts, clearence, etc.) And you can carb it if you get the right dist. manifold, fuelpump and carb? (or just buy a z24 rather than a z24i and already have everything.)

If it is a direct bolt in I guess I am surprised more people don't do it in their 521's vs a KA swap? (especially if they want to stay carbed.)

On a scale from 1-10 (performance aside) how much easier is this swap than a KA? I thought you had to move the mounts on a KA swap.

Forgive me for not knowing much about z24s guys, but this is a direct bolt in and will fit in a 521? (motor mounts, clearence, etc.) And you can carb it if you get the right dist. manifold, fuelpump and carb? (or just buy a z24 rather than a z24i and already have everything.)

If it is a direct bolt in I guess I am surprised more people don't do it in their 521's vs a KA swap? (especially if they want to stay carbed.)

On a scale from 1-10 (performance aside) how much easier is this swap than a KA? I thought you had to move the mounts on a KA swap.

well im not buying it im getting back 4 free as fare as the direct bolt in i dont no lol we will c

• 8 months later...

I have an '89 tbi converting to weber 32/36, I herd it all don't ask. Nah the injectors are shot and the weber carb and manifold from a 720 kinda fell out of the sky. Anyway my question is can I do the intake/weber swap and keep the z24i ecu/distributor and make it work? Also can i use an inline fuel regulator to bring down the fuel pressure and keep the z24i fuel pump? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Also Don't forget the bottom half of the motor!:eek:

Z24 oil pan won't fit into your 521.

521 oil pan is wrong for a NAPS Z type motor, unless it is converted to L24B (LZ motor)

and also the if you are going to use the long 5 sp it needs a truck style shifter

to clear the bench seat, and that only works with the seat all the way back.

also, Intake is now on the other side of the motor... Throttle cable etc.

Hmmm that's right. Take a hammer to the pan and dent it in for clearance. Here's a Z24 2wd pan. The pickup is way in the back so....? Or cut and weld it. That Z24 is going to accordion the 521 frame when you hit it! :D

I have an '89 tbi converting to weber 32/36, I herd it all don't ask. Nah the injectors are shot and the weber carb and manifold from a 720 kinda fell out of the sky. Anyway my question is can I do the intake/weber swap and keep the z24i ecu/distributor and make it work? Also can i use an inline fuel regulator to bring down the fuel pressure and keep the z24i fuel pump? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The ECU uses the CAS and throttle position sensor and MAF?MAP (whatever) to compute the ignition advance on the Z24i. Without these inputs I don't see how you can. Just find any mechanical advance Z22/Z24 dizzy and run it.

Edited by datzenmike