damn it!! stupid 510 and their different ball joints

So I bought new ball joints for my goon. My car is a 1970 model so I was certain it had the bigger joints being that it does have a 1970 crossmember and 1970 everthing else. Well guess what!! It has freakin early smaller 69 knuckles and ball joints damn it!! Damn it to hell! Just had to rant some.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure you have a 1970 crossmember then? I changed out the small, 69 ball joints in my 'goon last year.

Yea pretty sure its a 70 x member has the lip on it and the piviots are welded in real low. Think I might try to find some later style knuckles. I bought the ball joints from e bay so it might be a PITA to return them. The only reason I bought em from e bay was cause they are nos and they were cheaper than aftermarket stuff.

Wow, either your car is a mish mash of parts from the factory or some PO mixed things up for you. The small ball joints (11mm ?) where a pain in the ass to find too. What year and month was your 510 manufactured? Earlier the production date the more likely Datsun did it from the factory to use up old parts....

12/69 it says on the door jamb tag. It really is strange unless some one changed them at one time for early style ones. It threw me for a loop that's for sure. Guess I should checked em first. Oh well maybe I can score of later knuckles from someone.

I thought I was the only one with this type or issue. my wagon is a 71 but ends up I had the early ball joints as well as the early type valve cover. I was lucky to find the ball joints and finding out a lot of people rather have my valve cover. I agree it is drag to find out when you get parts that they don't fit and holds up repairs