Sputter problems

izzo

ok, so coming home tonight.

going up a decent hill my truck doesnt relaly have enough power to push 60, so after it slows down a bit i drop into 4th and stick it to the floor. after a few minutes and still going up the hill, It starts slowing down and sometimes sputters, almost like it wasnt getting enough fuel or becoming flooded??

I tried not putting the pedal to the floor, and just half way, or 3/4s of the way etc but it acts like its starving for gas. it wont die, and i can just slow down some and it wont do it. Seems like only going up hill in 3rd or 4th at high rpms is when that happens

It sputtered a few times up a few different hills. Anyone know?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what was the weather conditons? Maybe carb icing? Maybe vac leak? Check vac hose to distributor. You may not be getting good vac advance if you have a leak in this hose. Also check sight glass on the front of the carb to see if you are maintaining a good fuel supply. If the window is very low or empty when you rev the engine, it could be fuel pump, or sticking float or trash in the needle valve seat.

If damp/foggy/near freezing, probably icing. Next time it does it take the air filter off and look at the primary venturi. It will have ice on it. To solve, replace or fab up the warm air system on the snorkle.

Edited by datzenmike

If it was in that 720 its a NAPZ motor im sure. Those things have a tendency to warp heads and blocks. Make sure your head gasket isnt blown. If you have a hard time pushing 60 you have some issues. My 84 4x4 blew the head gasket on the freeway under normal driving conditions and I had just replace it a few months prior, but the same simtoms happend, no power, pinging and chuging. Do a compression check and find out.