77kermit's '75 620 project

77kermit

I finally added another member to my growing Datsun fleet the other day, this one is to be my work truck so it's going in a different direction than my other projects. The kid I bought it from had lowered it, slapped a weber on, put a 2 & 1/2" magnaflow exhaust, and supposedly had the head rebuilt along with putting in a newer cam. After getting it home (which was a task in itself as it wouldn't idle and died on the freeway with barely enough battery juice to restart, and that was only after a couple of minutes of me going "WTF you stupid friggin' truck") I thought better about most of his claims, especially the one about it being a daily driver. Then of course on getting it home I found the lowering blocks cracked and the rear axle being held on by only 6 out of 8 nuts. Needless to say I have my work cut out for me. but it does have a decent body for a '75.

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

That said here's what I can suss out so far, after fixing the charging issue (replaced the alternator and hooked the stereo up properly and voila it works again :D) the air breather from the top of the crankcase is spitting out little drops of water, the weber won't keep it running unless the electric choke is disconnected, the pcv valve is not connected (fixing that should in theory keep the water out of the crankcase breather, right?) and I need window squeegees :)

A friend already gave me a good L16 exhaust manifold to go with my offenhauser intake for it, and I'm starting to think about taking the weber off of my wagon, as it works just fine, putting it on the truck and returning the wagon to stock.

As with everything I do out there I have a couple questions, please forgive me if someone has already answered these but for the life of me I can't find the post, so for one is there an adapter available, or can anyone fabricate one, for hooking up the L16 exhaust manifold, which goes into a two port setup at the bottom, to the existing exhaust? (I believe the exhaust on there has a one hole adapter) two any ideas for why it won't stay running now with the weber settings reset and the choke hooked up? I read a bit about the pcv causing issues if not hooked up, but my understanding is that it should still run...

Edited by 77kermit
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He prolly had the wrong wire hooked up to the choke. There should be 2 wires. One is the choke and one is for the cutoff solonoid. Make sure u have the rite wire. Use your wiring diagram in your manual that u should have. I would tell u but I'm not looking @ it rite now. U can also use a meter to test the wires with the ignition on.

As 4 the truck, it is bad-ass. I seen that one on the list. Good luck with it:D

I believe the right wire is hooked up, it should be the one that's only live when the truck is running, while the cut off should only get juice just after it's shut off. I didn't check the cut-off to see when the voltage flows however I did notice it ran differently when I unplugged it for a second. I'll look into it tomorrow when there's more light...

oh yeah and thanks, it is a bad ass truck :D

• 3 weeks later...

Got the old intake/exhaust carb setup off the truck the other day, took the weber from my wagon and hooked it up to the truck via the offenhauser intake I had bought about a year ago, put the L16 exhaust manifold on and started it up, runs like a champ, all the idling weirdness and hiccup-ing acceleration are gone, now only if I could find a flange for the exhaust manifold I could actually drive it. Took it to my muffler guy yesterday only to be told that he can't do anything for me without that flange. It was so loud I could barely hear my stereo :D

Sold the seats out of it a week ago to a buddy at work for his international scout, glad they went to a good home, couldn't stand them myself.

got the floor sanded and primered, put a temp seat in made out of an old 70's chair and some pillows for the drive to the muffler shop, pretty comfy actually, thinking about making it permament.

added a cup holder :D

that's been my week so far, oh yeah and I put it back to stock height for now, until I get tires for the 16's that I should be getting this week sometime I won't know what height it'll look it's best at, plus the lowering job was pretty shoddy and I'd rather just do it right when it comes time.