problem

Roman Tasel

I started my truck and after about a few minutes of 3000rpm idle speed the truck drops to 2000rpm ( iguess normal since the engine warmed up) but it shoots back up to 3000 and repeats untill it dies. My engine is sooooo screwed.:( About the high rpm, i adjusted a few things and it helped a little. since i thought it had vacuum leak, asprayed wd40 on the base of the carb. No vacuum leak:rolleyes: I was told it could be idle selenoid not working. How far does the mixture screw have to be turned out from the bottom of a hitachi carb on my l18? Just wondering, i know thats not the problem.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your sure its not a vacuum leak I would suspect that the secondary throttle plate may be sticking. Whats the history on the carb? Those old hitachis had iron bases not aluminum and can rust up. Also there could be a problem with the secondary vacuum circuit. i doubt your engine is shot. You would be suprised how many datsuns we get for cheap up here because people think their shot when they just need carb or ignition/timing work.

The secondary vacuum is internal and can't be gotten at. Get a flashlight and look down the secondary barrel. If it isn't closed you'll see it cracked open.

Is the choke fully off? If on the fast idle cam may be on giving a fast idle (what else). Maybe the fast idle cam linkage is stuck/not adjusted. Who rebuilt it? A friend who's done it a thousand times??

Is the throttle linkage adjusted? If too tight the throttle can't return to idle.

BTW, your motor isn't screwed, it just has an idle problem.

Intake manifold gasket,pcv valve,vacuum advance port,power brake booster lines and fittings,carb base section gasket(the hitachi breaks down into 3 sections) all possible vacuum leak points to inspect. Make sure the throttle linkage is assembled correctly and the release lever for the secondary is not stuck or engaging it.