66 520 brake and master cylinder upgrades

I just recently picked up a 66 520 and I want to do some updated brakes on it cause as of now it has a bad master cylinder and needs some attention to the brakes anyway. Before I go out and spend a bunch of money on the wrong parts I wanted to ask you guys what would be the best result at a reasonable price. I want to convert to power brakes and discs all the way around. Will I still be able to run my 14" steelies with whitewalls?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably have a single m/c, so it would be a really good idea to up-grade to a dual. This will separate the front wheels from the back and will alow one set to work even if there is a failure in the others. The 620 has this and also a booster, a similar one is on the B-210.

I don't remember if the 521s had the booster but all the 620s did with a 3/4" master through '77. '78 and '79 were front disc brake and the master was increased in size to 13/16". A place to start perhaps. Other cars like the 280z/zx and S11 had too large a diameter booster and I doubt it will fit above the steering column and beside clutch master. The first gen S10 200sx might be the same as the B-210/620, don't know, but the 620 is likely the largest master..

yea, I have the single master, so I will be needing to plumb some new lines when I convert to the dual master. Thanks for helping me out, I'm just trying to get the basics in order so I can drive it. I had a 71 521 when I lived in Bellingham Wa. I always had brake problems with that truck, got used to pumping the brakes and planning ahead, I don't want to go that route again.